Michael Norman
Michael Norman, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Director of Technology
77547562

I have printout of an Excel but it does not show a file name.

Customer Question

I have printout of an Excel but it does not show a file name. How can I retrieve it? I thought that if I inputted some of the typed data form the printout that would help me find the file. If that is correct I do not know where to input it.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Norman replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is, Mike. I'd like to try and assist you with your issue.
I'm assuming that the Excel file you are trying to find is somewhere on your computer?
If that is the case you can perform a keyword search to try and retrieve the file.
There are so many different search options available. Therefore I have included a link below that provides step-by-step instructions for performing various types of searches:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Advanced-tips-for-searching-in-Windows
You may need to index your drive in order to search for text within files:
To get to the Indexing Options:
Start --> Control Panel --> Indexing Options
See Change advanced indexing options for more information.
If you click on the Advanced button in Indexing Options and go to the File Types tab, you will get a list of file types and the way they are indexed. For the file types you want, you can specify that you want the file contents indexed, and not just the file properties.
Or you can just do a normal search, and after the search is finished you can click on the "File Contents" button under the "Search again in" field (which is located after the end of the search results list, if you scroll to the bottom).