Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I have a 740 page .doc in Word 2003 that I am trying to

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 740...
Hi. I have a 740 page .doc in Word 2003 that I am trying to publish both as a 5.5 x 8.5 pBook and as various eBook PDF with several smaller "page" sizes.
I need a VB macro for word that will look for tables, and expand/contract the last column of each table such that the total width of the table is a constant that is in the VB macro, thus the table will take exactly the entire page width.
I'm sure there is something out there like that.
Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
6/5/2015
Microsoft Office Technician: Christopher Love, Expert replied 3 years ago
Christopher Love
Hello, my name is Chris. I have read your request and I agree this should be possible. I'll need some time to write the macro and test it before I send it to you. Can you send me a sample page(s) so I can see exactly what the macro should perform? If you send it on Wikisend.com and upload your page(s) there, I'll get you an answer with either the Macro or whether I can do it by tomorrow. Let me know if you want me to proceed.
Microsoft Office Technician: Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist replied 3 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Hello. My name is Michael.
I'm not really crazy about the solution but this is what I found
Thing I don't like about it is that it relies on using Excel as well which makes it pretty fragile. But, it could be implemented to customize the tables programmatically.
Sub test()
folder_Modules_xls = "C:\Modules"
path_template_report = "C:\template_report.docx"
'Get all the selected modules and deduct Bookmarks by removing extension (*.xls or *.xlsx)
SelectedModules = "test.xlsx"
'OPEN main Word File
Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
Set objDoc = objWord.Documents.Open(path_template_report)
objWord.Visible = True
'Extract Bookmark that will be used in word file.
Bookmarks = Left(SelectedModules, WorksheetFunction.Search(".", SelectedModules) - 1)
'OPEN Excel file to print into the main Word file
Set wb = Workbooks.Open(folder_Modules_xls & "\" & SelectedModules)
'READ the number of range name in the xls file corresponding to the number of print area
printAreaQty = ActiveWorkbook.Names.Count
'rRange = RecoverNameRange("Print_Area1")
'In the Word file, go to the corresponding bookmark
objDoc.Bookmarks(Bookmarks).Select
'Skip a line
objWord.Selection.TypeText (vbCrLf) 'return carriage
'Select the print area #1 in the xls file
Application.Range("Print_Area1").Copy
'Paste the table at the selected bookmark in the main word doc.
objWord.Selection.Paste
Application.CutCopyMode = False
'CUSTOMIZE THE TABLE (the newest)
With objDoc.Tables(objDoc.Tables.Count)
.AutoFitBehavior wdAutoFitWindow 'fit to the page
.Rows.SetHeight RowHeight:=objWord.CentimetersToPoints(0.5), HeightRule:=wdRowHeightExactly 'adjust row height
End With
'Close Excel file
Workbooks(SelectedModules).Close SaveChanges:=False
Set wb = Nothing
'CLOSING SETTING
Set objWord = Nothing
Set objDoc = Nothing
End Sub