Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

All my customers have a unique customer number. Their database…

Customer Question
All my customers have a...
All my customers have a unique customer number. Their database information is on three workbooks for different parts of the business. One aspect, vaccines (pet business) are continually updated on the main master. But then we have to go to the other two workbooks and update them there as well. There has to be a way I can reference the one constant, customer number, and have book 2 & book 3 update the vaccines when they are updated on book 1. I've been trying for weeks to figure this out, going thru all the formulas offered and reading online without result. Can you get me started?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
5/23/2015
Microsoft Office Technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 3 years ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
You can definitely do this by using the VLOOKUP function. May I take a look at the document or an example of one? I will then setup the coding and send it back to you.
Please, be forewarned that the site is not secure:
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
ok. Here is a piece of the Customer Master.
Thank you.
Which values do you want to be copied to the other worksheets upon updating?
There is only one worksheet in this example with any values.
The columns are identical across all three workbooks.
The specific names are***** (book) customer (sheet). Column B is the customer number. Columns AS through BG represent the actual vaccines. If you can help me set up one (column AS) I can copy and repeat changing the column names for AT through BG.The vaccines are updated on this one, Customer Master, as they come through. I would like to put the formulas in the Daycare and Dog Park books so they would update when the Master updates. (again identical columns, just the workbook and worksheet change.Daycare (book) Daily (sheet)Bark Park (book) Members (sheet)
Daycare and Bark Park are subsets of the Master...meaning the Master has everyone while the Daycare and Bark Park only have the participants for those activities. And of course the lists are always growing!
Thank you. I will have this finished in a few minutes.
hello. Just checking as it has been over an hour and you said a few minutes. Am I missing something?
Sorry. This is taking a bit longer than expected.
I will have this completed within the next 10 minutes.
I'm sorry, this is taking longer than expected.
I have run out of ideas.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Microsoft Office Technician: Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist replied 3 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Hello. My name is***** can provide you with some additional assistance on your question. Yes, this is definitely something you can do because you can basically relate the tables to each other's in a similar way that you would use to relate tables in the database. However, doing it in a spreadsheet is many times more difficult because of what's involved to make that spreadsheet data act like database data. But it's something that can be done and you basically hit the nail on the head in that Excel formulas would be the preferred way to do it and it's like developing software confined to a straitjacket. Because there's only so much you can do in formulas and it's an all or nothing approach. I'll take a look at what you have and see if I can come up with any additional suggestions. Then if you want me to go through fixing it if I think it will take a while I can send you an offer for that but it'll be up to you at that time let me see if I can first identify what the issue is. Mike
I think that what I'm going to need to completely understand what you trying to do is more than just the one spreadsheet. Can you to a quick markup of what it will be like when the formula is running? You don't have to make it work I just need to see how exactly the the data will be connected precisely and how will flow.
I've attached two other Sample books. Boarding with a Pending worksheet and Daycare with the Current worksheet. The Sample is real. We start with the Customer Master. As someone calls and schedules daycare, boarding, dog park, grooming, etc. we copy the record line from the Master (assuming repeat customer) and place it in the appropriate book & sheet. NEW customers would not have customer numbers yet but I don't care what returns on them. Until they actually show up to do the daycare, boarding or whatever, we generally do not have records. You may note a Mini Master on the Daycare sheet. We do keep minis on the Daycare and Grooming for the most frequent customers of those activities. We are constantly getting in updates on old customers vaccines and will enter them in the master (3 vaccines with allowable space for 1 to 5 dogs). Then we have to go to the other locations and update them there as well. I was hoping to find a way that when we updated the rabies on the master, it could update to any other locations that customer number was at. If you can set up one book, one sheet (boarding, pending or daycare, current) for one vaccine (column AS - rabies for first dog), I think I can modify it for all the other vaccines and then the other books. I know the basics anyway. If this is a major undertaking then it may not be worth it. I was just trying to save us time and improve our accuracy. Sandra
OK... thank you. I will review this today and get back to you with what I think it will take.