Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

After a system restore, Outlook just will not open, although

I can see it in...
After a system restore, Outlook just will not open, although I can see it in the programs menu. I have a Dell XPS. Email accounts test fine for sending and receiving, I just can't open the Outlook program. "Windows help and support" is not responding either.
Anything I can try?
Thanks,
Kate
11/19/2013
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Do you have Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8?

Sorry, should have said, Windows 7

We are going to attempt a repair on the Office suite..

Close all Office related programs such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.

1. In Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.

Note In Classic view, double-click Programs and Features.

1. Click Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010, or Microsoft Office Starter 2010, and then click Change.
  2. For the Remove Office user settings check box, do one of the following:
  • If you want to save Microsoft Office settings, such as Ribbon customizations, do not select the check box.
  • If you don't want to save the Office settings, such as Ribbon customizations, or if you are having a problem with settings that you want to fix, select the check box.
  1. Click Repair.

Try opening Outlook again

I did as instructed (had Microsoft Office starter), repaired OK, but Outlook still does not open.

Office Starter does not include Outlook - Did you purchase it separately?

I purchased the whole Microsoft Office suite through my work ages ago and they've all always worked fine, including Outlook; in the programs list I see Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010, Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010, plus the MS Office Starter.

Do you mind if we do a screen sharing session so that I can view your screen and fix the issue?

No, that would be fine.

navigate to http://166.78.231.170:8040/ and type in the code "1"

I've tried all the options but it just keeps saying "joining your session". I also tried to download the latest version of Java as it said I didn't have it, but the download didn't work. Maybe something bigger than just MS Office going on--something happened at last automatic Windows update, computer just hung up and wouldn't shut down, on coming back up it said there were problems in certain discs and asked if I wanted to repair--I said yes, but maybe shouldn't have!

Let's try doing another restore back before you had this problem..

Before we get started, you will be disconnected from our chat to perform the steps below. Please press CTRL and D together on your keyboard to save this page as a favorite so you can return when you reboot. The page will appear in your Favorites tab.

Click the Start button . In the search box, type System Restore then press enter.

Choose a different restore point.
Select a date before the issue. (Click on Show more Restore points)
Follow the prompts to restore your computer
Your computer will restart, after the restart try again.

I was unable to complete System Restore--I got the following error message: 'System restore did not complete successfully..failed to extract the file C:\ from the restore point..an unspecified error occurred ox8000fff'. I think I need to explore advanced recovery options--I will need to wait and try those tomorrow as I will need to back up all my files first. If I need to reinstall MS Office--is there a way I can do this without buying it again? I did it online so I don't have a disc.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Kate,

Yes, you can install it again. If the product key gives you any issues then you can request a replacement key from Microsoft for free.

I would recommend trying the system restore in safe mode and see if you can restore from there.

Please restart your computer while pressing F8 until you reach the boot menu. Once you reach the boot menu please select Safe mode

Once in Safe mode, try the system restore.

Holy cow, just tried Outlook again and it worked--not sure what I did, but everything seems to be working again fine! If I have further trouble I'll try the system restore again in Safe mode.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kate

You are so welcome!

Please take a minute to rate our session so that I am credited with helping you. (Good or Excellent)
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Josh, Computer Enthusiast