Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

When either sending an email, or responding to an email in

Outlook 2013, that email sits...
When either sending an email, or responding to an email in Outlook 2013, that email sits in the outbox. The only way to flush it is to click on "Outbox", open the stuck message and then click send within that message. This just started happening and I don't know where to look for the setting that changed...
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/2/2013
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
what happens if you hit the send / receive button ?

when I hit the send / receive button, the email remains in the outbox but my inbox will update with new incoming messages. The only way to "flush" the outbox is to open those emails stuck there and hit the send button for the individual email messages. In other words, if there are four messages "stuck" in the outbox, opening one of them and hitting send, only flushes (sends) that one message. Sorry for the previous "snarky" reply about charges, Gabriel in support clarified the charges.

Bob

try the instructions on this page to make sure that all accounts are set to send receive from the default group. You can also change the frequency that it sends and checks for mail in the same place

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/change-send-receive-group-settings-HA102919791.aspx

Groups are fine; there's only one email account for Outlook. Here's some further detail for you: running Windows 8.1 on a machine that is less than 30 days old; using Norton 360 and its configured to check in and out-bound emails.

I shut down the outbound check and still had the same problem; I then rebooted, started Outlook in safe mode and the problem persisted. Right now, Norton 360 is enabled and checking in and out-bound emails (as it always has been configured).

I can't figure out what changed, except possibly a couple of Microsoft updates...

Bob

1. The group i am talking about is the default group which determines when it does the send and receive even if it is only 1 account. That is just the way outlook works. You don't set the frequency in the account you set it in a group even if there is only 1 account in the group.

2. Within the account settings tools / accounts / properties /

under servers tab make sure that it says "outgoing server requires authentification and use same as incoming ( assuming you are using the outgoing server for the same mail server as the incoming)

3 You can try doing a system restore to a time before the problem occurred it is very easy and it can fix a multitude of problems without having to track them all down.

system restore instructions XP VISTA

start menu /all programs / accesories / system tools / system restore

select restore to an earlier date.

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settngs box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

System restore instructions - windows 7

type rstrui.exe in the white search box on the windows start menu and hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the list that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

All seems in order in the accounts / properties / area.

A system restore seems a bit scorched earth to me for this problem; I'll have to think about what's transpired since I bought the machine in order to be able to bring it back to it's current state (minus this problem) from that restore point.

That may take a day or two to wrap my head around...

No. A system restore is different than a system recovery. All that it does is reset the programs and settings to a particular day in the past. Usually you can only go back a few weeks at most. But it does not affect your data. It does NOT set it back to factory defaults the way a recovery would.

system restore instructions XP VISTA

select restore to an earlier date.

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

System restore instructions - windows 7

select restore to an earlier date.

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

OK. I'll try; stand by...

sure thing. Let me know please

In process...

Restore completed; didn't solve the problem; should I look for an earlier restore point?

OK checked for earlier restore points, the suggested restore point was the only one...

that's too bad

Try going to control / panel / programs

and do the repair on the outlook

Another thing that you can do is go to tools accounts and delete the account.

then add it back again

OK; I'll try the repair first...

ok let me know please

did the repair; rebooted, restarted Outlook and problem remained...

did the "delete account", set it up again, rebooted, restarted Outlook and problem remained...

would you be willing to let me remote in and look at the outlook ?

or could you send me screenshots of what it looks like in account properties and the group settings ?

Easier for you to connect, no? If so; let's do it that way...

How do we start?

go to www.teamviewer.com and install the software than you will get an id and password put that in here for me and I can connect

OK, it's active and your id is RobertM

usually it gives you a number and a passkey

322 910 916

1376

it doesn't like that password can you check it please usually it is longer as well

s1ex32

I cant see anything obviously wrong there.

Looks like you upgraded to windows 8.1 though. Every new ms op system has bugs. I have been hearing about them every day for a week on this one.

I would totally uninstall the outlook and re install it. But I did not want to do that without being able to let you know and agree and you want to backup your data first.

I can do that; I'll give you an update when it's done...

ok let me know please. It looks like it is just not trying to send and I don't know any settings that will stop that.

I would try totally uninstalling the Norton as well. Usually when that interferes it tries to send and flags an error but with windows 8.1 and 2 programs both installed before the 8.1 you never know what might screw up where.

OK; here's the skinny...

Uninstalled Office; rebooted, re-installed Office and configured Outlook and tried a "send"; same problem.

I then created a new outlook account and tried a "sent" and that worked! So, I'm considering this problem resolved!

Thanks so much for your help and your patience with me yesterday and today...

Bob

You are very welcome.

If you would give me a good or excellent rating I would be very happy with the resolution as well.

I am dependent on your rating for my status on the site as well as needing it to be paid for my time.

In the future if you want to send a question directly to me you can put "FOR ROBERTM" in the beginning of the question

Thank you

flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

You got it!

Thank you so much. I hope you will come back next time you have a problem

I'll sure think about it; usually I'm self-sufficient, but this one had me stumped and I guess I was too close to the problem to think it through and I thank you for that!

Bob

I was just following up on our work. Thank you very much for the rating. If you have further issues with this same problem you can post in the original problem and i will give you more help for free. If you would like to go to this page and add it to your favorates you can then use it to send me a question directly

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-robmark/
flopcat98
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant