Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

hi, I cant seem to find any of my data files in outlook.

hi, I can't seem to...
hi, I can't seem to find any of my data files in outlook.
11/1/2013
Richard, Software Specialist
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

I can tell you how to locate your PST file, but to do this, please tell me which version of Outlook you are running.

eg: 2010

And currently are you able to open Outlook?

Thank you

hi, I think it's 2010. yes I can open it, but it won't open calendar, and it won't show any folders, but it shows a "favourite folder" as "unread emails". so the emails are somewhere.

This fault happened when I was using outlook a few hours ago.

Thank you Jane

You will want to repair the PST.

To find its location, in Outlook, click File, Info, Account Settings.

Then in the new window, click on Data Files.

You will see your PST file listed there and the path to it.

This you note down for use in the PST Repair program.

Make sure to first close Outlook before running the Scan and Repair.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Richard,

so I'm going to c:\users\jane

\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook

but, under "jane", there is no appdata so I can't continue

ok, you have it hidden.

ok, Click Start, Computer

Than Organise (Top), Folder and Search Options

Click View

Click Show Hidden Files, Folders and drives

Untick Hide Extensions for known file types

And uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files

Click ok.

then you will see it Jane.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

whew. great. I'm guessing I will need to go back and hide all those folders when I'm finished.

It is now going through the pst scan thingy. whew. I'm expecting that to take a while.

Why do you think this has happened? do you think because I let my pst file get too big? I know in the old days the rule of thumb was not to let it get over 1 gig. is that still the case. (and I'm sure mine was well over that)

It can happen for many reasons, mostly due to bugs in outlook Jane.

Size is not an issue (it can get up to 20GB now) but I see the problem with PST issues daily, and really it is just bugs within Outlook. And as Microsoft do not let anyone see the source code, it is impossible to see these bugs,

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist

Hey Richard,

I sure will. You've been great. It's nearly 3am here, and this problem got me out of bed because I was so worried about it. Looks like it's going to take some time to finish scanning etc.

I'll jump back on line in about 3 hours and hopefully we're all fixed and I can sign off.

Good work! No, great work!

No problem and thank you!

Sleep well (and please remember the service rating by clicking a smiley face)

Thanks!

Richard, Software Specialist