Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Have been using MS Office since Office XP and know VBA coding very well
59162784

How to create relative links in Word MS Office 2010

Bryan :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please do not rate this session until it has been completed.

Bryan :

Microsoft has an article describing the process. Have you seen this article yet? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903163

Customer:

I have tried to creat links to a folder, e.g. "Exhibits/020001%20Development%20of%20VOP-003.pdf"

Customer:

but when I move the main folder and sub-folders to an other computer it does not work.

Bryan :

Have you tried removing the %20 and just using spaces? Because it's in quotes, there shouldn't be a need for %20

Customer:

\\xd40202.u-dom1.u-ssi.net\sema20148user$\S19761\work\Kårehamn\JDN\70 Statement of Defence\Exhibits\Exhibits/020001%20Development%20of%20VOP-003.pdf

Bryan :

Yes, but enclosed in quotes

Customer:

That's not the problem it looks like above when I open the Word document. I dont what that Word adds the long srting Before Exhibit/.... which is the folder.

Bryan :

Ok, so you don't want the full path. Got ya'. Give me a second.

Bryan :

Is there any chance you can send me the document?

Customer:

I will take an other document. Give me a second

Bryan :

No problem

Customer:

How do attach a file?

Bryan :

With the paperclip icon

Bryan :

Alright. Give me a few minutes to check it out

Customer:

Note that it is a compressed file including a folder

Bryan :

No problem

Customer:

Check the link in the bottom of the file

Bryan :

Well, it worked for me. Are you talking about the text it's showing when you hover over it?

Customer:

I made a wrong test file. Just a minute. In the meantime. Can you tell me why the Word file does not open as print layout

Bryan :

hmmm ... well, it did open in Print Layout for me.

Bryan :

You might need to check your Word Options. But we can look at that next.

Bryan :

Ok, got it.

Bryan :

hmmm ... still worked

Customer:

Now it worked when I moved the test folder to a separate disc. Can the problem be du to that hte original document is created in a Company server where I worked in a separeate domain? You saw the search path to Before Exhibit/...

Bryan :

Absolutely. You should make a small change to the original document, save it as a new file, then fix it and rename it to what tyou want. That will reset the header info.

Customer:

The prolem is that I have more than 240 links in the document created on the Company server.

Bryan :

oh boy. Ok, let me see if I can find a tool to do it for you.

Customer:

Nice

Bryan :

Ok, looks like the best bet is to do Find/Replace (Alt+F9).

Customer:

I will try and check. Just a moment

Bryan :

Ok

Customer:

Now all my documents looks crazy

Bryan :

In what way?

Customer:

I couldn't upload the document. Give me some more time

Bryan :

No problem

Customer:

It looks like the Alt/F9 command changed all dockuments. Here is an other document in the same main folder

Full Size Image

Bryan :

That link didn't work for some reason. Is it a big file?

Customer:

It looks like all documents with the search path have been corrupt

Bryan :

Did you do a file search, or just the open document?

Customer:

Bryan :

I'm here

Customer:

Now I have found out how it works. The links are now correct and the documents became normal when I entered Alt/f9 again. Puuuh!!!

Bryan :

Excellent! :)

Customer:

Now we still have to solve the problem how to save the document on the server n order not to create the type of links

Customer:

By the way - Thank you very much for the hint with the command than opened up the hyper links!!

Bryan :

Well, what you'll need to do is to save it to the server, then do the same Alt+F9 on it so that the header info takes on the new path. I really wish Microsoft would make updating those links easier.

Bryan :

No problem at all.

Customer:

OK and thanks for the chat. It really helped. Now I can move on!