Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I used office 365 to email merge. The merge worked fine for

the letter but all the...
I used office 365 to email merge. The merge worked fine for the letter but all the recipients received all others email as well
10/31/2013
Pete, Computer Expert

Did you use an email address book?

Were the recipients' email addresses in the CC line?

If the email addresses are not published as an email address book for use in the mail merge, or if the email addresses are not on the To line when using mail merge, then they will be visible to all recipients.

I used a list of mail merge recipients that I made through word.
There was nothing on cc line,the email address was on the top line. All the recipients emails did merge correctly but each recipient received all the other recipients emails.

Hi Bill,

Have you ever used Mail Merge before, or were you using it for the first time?

How was the email list linked to the recipient line?

Do you mean each recipient was able to see all the other recipients' email addresses?

This was the first time I used email merge.the recipient list was acessed trough word . The actual emails for each recipient was sent to all recipients

I'm still not sure how you merged the recipients' email list with Outlook.

Did you use the Mail Merge Wizard?

The correct way to create a mail merge is:

On the Mailings tab, click Start Mail Merge, and then click Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard.

• In the Mail Merge task pane, click Letters under Select document type, and then click Next: Starting document.
  • Use one of the following procedures:
    • If you want the want the body of the letter to be the document that is currently open, click Use the current document under Select starting document. Go to step 5.
    • If you want the want the body of the letter to be an existing template, click Start from a template under Select starting document, and then click Select template.
    • If you want the want the body of the letter to be an existing document, click Start from existing document under Select starting document. Click Open, and then select the file that you want to use as your main document.
  • Click Next: Select recipients.
  • Under Select recipients, click Select from Outlook contacts. Under Select from Outlook contacts, click Choose Contacts Folder.
  • In the Select Contact List Folder dialog box, select the contact list that you want to use, and then click OK.
  • In the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, make any changes that you want, and then click OK.
  • Click Next: Write your letter. Type your letter, if you have not already done so. Click where you want to insert the first field. In the Mail Merge task pane, click the field that you want to insert under Write your letter.

Alternatively, click More Items to display the Insert Merge Field dialog box, and then insert the field that you want. When you have finished writing your letter and inserting merge fields, click Next: Preview your Letter.
  • Click the left arrow or the right arrow to preview the way that the merged document will look for each recipient. Make any changes that you want. When you are finished, click Next: Complete the merge.
  • Click Print.
  •  

Yes I used mail merge wizard as you described.

Was the recipients list also newly created in Office365, or did it originate elsewhere?

I created it in office 365 for this mailing.

Ok, I would suggest trying another trial run of just a few email addresses to test the system again and see if it works. If it still shows all recipients' email addresses, then try another test by adding a few contacts from the People tab instead.

I will give it a try

Ok, let me know how it goes, or if you need further assistance.

Remember, you can still return to ask free followup questions after rating my service today.

Thanks,

Pete.

Pete, Computer Expert
    Pete, Computer Expert