Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I need to filter a large set of data, but it has to be done

Customer Question
in a way that normal...
I need to filter a large set of data, but it has to be done in a way that normal filtering will not work. Basically I want to have 5 or 6 criteria available for selection at the top of a spreadsheet, and then based on the various selections, the output will populate on a separate data table below. The criteria values will not appear in the data output directly. For example, I want to show all the employees (and their various accompanying performance stats, for example sales or # XXXXX clients) in a certain pay grade that report to a particular manager. I want the spreadsheet to be such that at the top there is a dropdown to select a manager, and another dropdown to select a paygrade. Based on these selections a list (with first column employee name) several rows below will populate with the appropriate employees and all their accompanying performance data in the subsequent columns.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/30/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: salah16, Software Engineer replied 4 years ago
salah16
salah16, Software Engineer
It sound like what you need is more like an access database rather than an excel spread sheet. let us know, if you will be fine with an access database or it has to be an excel spreadsheet.
My understanding is this needs done through excel for a presentation. Is it possible? Basically I need to know how to make a drop down list or some sort of selection mechanism (but with the ability to select on more than one criteria, as i said manager, pay grade, location etc) output the applicable employees and their accompanying columns of data. If there is some macro script I could paste or set of formulas that would be fine. I'm pretty good with excel but am lost here. Some stuff I've read online references using index functions within a data validation list... No idea how to use index function. I can do v lookups and data validation lists.
I can try to explain, by writing, but as they say: a picture is a thousand words, so this might be exactly what you are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kYzmBncec4

if the 3rd level should be just a value not a drop down, then see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZWSOAKO_9o

This video shows how to do that on a whole column (basically highlighting the whole column before applying the rule): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yychXPx2gUY

If this isn't all what you need, let us know for more help. Otherwise please don't forget to rate when done.
thank you.
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 4 years ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

yes a macro can be created to allow filtering of data based on a drop down selection above a column.

can you send a copy of the workbook, so that this can be done for you,

www.wikisend.com

after uploading they give you file ID#

paste that here.
Is this salah? I don't know who I'm replying to. If it is salah this solution is sort of on the right path but not really what I needed. I need it so that if you pick items from the drop downs it filters a separate spreadsheet. Basically imagine if you had a normal spreadsheet with 20 columns and you wanted to filter it by only values in the first four columns. But you also then wanted to separate/remove the first four columns so that they are say ten rows above the rest of the data. And ideally these four selection columns could have a drop down menu to select the various filters rather than have all the actual names/data under them as it is in a standard filtering scenario. I've actually just decided to put all the columns together so I can do standard filtering. If this isn't ok with my boss I'll let you know but for the moment I don't need a solution.

My name is XXXXXCustomer And I will be helping you from now on.

If you change your mind and decide you do want help, just reply and let me know
Hm okay that's fine. What happened to the first person who responded, salah? I've never used this before. Did you two trade off or something? And at the moment I'm going with just the normal filtering but if my boss is picky and wants the more complicated scenario I'll get back to you soon
I was going to suggest normal filtering to you.

The way the site works is that multiple experts can respond and you can choose whom you think is providing the best service.

The first preson said, that you needed access. I disagreed with that and said that it sure can be done in excel with macros and filters. It is up to you to determine which response you agree with most.

I am just letting you know that if you do decide you need to do something different in excel, I will be available to help you with that if you choose.
Turns out I will in fact need your help. Are you still available? If so it might be best if I sent you a screen shot of my file. I'm at work and I have limited access capabilities with my computer so I need to basically communicate with you through my phone.

www.wikisend.com

after uploading they give you file ID#

paste that here.

if you cannot access this site from work, then I suppose you can always copy the sheet to a jump drive or something and send it from home.

alternatively

you can email the sheet to

[email protected]

and ask them to forward it to me

put

ATTN:Customer

subject: http://www.justanswer.com/microsoft-office/831tm-need-filter-large-set-data-done.htm

NOTE: IF you choose this option it may take some time for them to get the workbook to me.

screen shots would not be very helpful as I would have no way to test the macro against your data.
Do you have a cell or email I could send to? I work with a bank and they're very restrictive with transferring files. It's not the data specifically that is important it's the outline or premise of the file. The data itself could be anything, just a bunch of random numbers and letters. So I think you should be able to figure it out if I just send a screen shot with explanation. The spreadsheet is pretty straightforward. You can add any random letters or numbers as the data.
ok, send a screenshot then and I will try to work from that
Alright. I think this is th link. http://www.wikisend.com/download/320182/image.jpg

Let me know if it doesn't work. You can email me bak instructions or macro script if it's easier than this text box. My email [email protected]

Basically the orange box at the top would be the menu, with the categories on the left side and the drop down selections on the right. The names/values in parentheses I put up there would be the options for the drop down. So say for manager the list would populate with 10 manager names, the segment option would have 5 different segments, etc.

Based on these selections the data below under the blue headers would populate for whatever is appropriate given the above selections. All the actual data would be housed on the employee roster tab you can see in grey at the bottom. This could all be accomplished very easily if the orange headers were inserted at the front of the blue section but my boss doesn't like how that looks. Ugh. Let me know what you think
I cannot see the image the file format is corrupted or something.

Try attaching it to this window

use the paperclip icon on the toolbar if you ahve one
Hm I'll just wait til I go home. Should have it to you within an hour. I'm in eastern standard time so it's 5 pm here. Will you be available for a bit? Thanks again for sticking with me
sure. I will be here
K cool. I will try to get the actual file to you. But I can't put any data in there it's confidential.
ok, fine, just put fake data

alright back on my home computer. should have the file to you soon via this window if i can attach. didn't have the option on my phone

ok

here is the link from the wikisend page

http://wikisend.com/download/420490/example.xlsx

the paper clip within this justanswer window only allows me to send a picture

again, i need the orange box in the top left of the main tab to populate with drop downs based on the corresponding orange columns on the underlying data tab. and then based on the user's selections have the columns in the blue section of the main tab populate accordingly.

hey there. i got a message that said the question is now open to all office experts. for the record i didn't select anything to make that happen. didn't want you to think i'm discouraged or anything. not sure why that happened.

ok I think I got you

I should be able to make this work

Not sure about those messages I have no control over that

K sounds good :)

i will reply back as soon as I have something working

thats fine. take your time. no rush, just so it works i'll be very appreciative. :)

ok will do

hey there PC guy. just checking in. like i said earlier no rush, but if you anticipate problems or potentially not being able to complete i'd just like to know ahead of time so i can investigate other options. thanks :)

it will work

might not have something until sometime tomarrow

ok sounds good. can you give me an estimate of the time tomorrow? i'm on eastern standard time. so right now its 9:47 pm.

by the end of the day

by 5PM, maybe earlier

hmmm. well, if it would be possible to have it earlier, say 12 noon that would be great. 5 would normally be good but the thing is i have to populate a significant amount of data and apply various other alterations to it once i get it back, and it's supposed to be complete for my boss by that time. let me know if this might be possible.

ok, I will try

ok. i'm going to attempt to open the question up so i can see if i can get an answer sooner. if you want to check in on my progress you can contact me here or my email or cell ill try to write out so it doesnt get chopped off its no spaces - b m a z o n at g m a i l dot c o m. and cell is 4 1 2 3 7 8 3 5 3 5

i appreciate all your time but i really need this by early tomorrow. if you can get to me by then ill be more than happy to pay you

ok, I am looking at it in more detail now.

I can get it to you by noon, but not any earlier, would that work for you?

yes but please assure it is done by then. if its not and i have to re open the question it will be very difficult for me to repost the file and communicate in depth like this from work. and like i said i have to do a significant amount of work with the file after it's "ready" from this standpoint. so by 12 if i dont have it i will probably seek out other resources at work or have to talk to my boss.

ok.

you will have it by then
Hey there. If possible I also need the drop downs in the menu/orange section to be able to allow multiple selections. Like select multiple managers or multiple segments. Whatever the four criteria were that were up there. Hope this is possible.
for now all that can be done is a single selection for each criteria. You are not giving me much time to do this, to select multiples would be a significant change. This additional functionailty may be able to be added, and we can certainly investigate it after we complete this transaction.
If I add 10 dollars to the price can you do it by 1?
unfortunantly not, you are asking me at the last minute to add this additional functionality.

I have the basic functionality more or less done and can send that to you now.

It basically does everything you originally asked for in your original question, before you started making all of these changes.

To do the additional changes you propose will take days. And multiple questions.

We can do this in stages, get the basic functionality then start adding features. However per site policy anything beyond the scope of the original request will require an additional question. or questions, depending on the amount of functionality you want to add.

let me know how you wish to proceed
I guess you might as well send it to me. The only thing I want to add though is the ability to select more than one option in the drop down. That would take days?
yes. That is a very complex programming task. One option is easy.

Plus it will require opening a new question. You can do so by the instructions below, and I could add additional functionality

here is the file, let me know if you have any problems getting it

http://ge.tt/5KzSZpw/v/0?c

Cool PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY SERVICE SO I GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME: Cool

you may do so with the smiley faces underneath this chat window

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.
Would it be possible for you to just attach this file in an email to the address I posted earlier at gmail? I can't acces that website at work.
they will not let us communicate via email, it is a violation of site policy.

I am sorry, but this is not my rule or my decision, I just have to follow procedures.

Is there a particular site you can access, are there any sites that you can access that you can download files from?
I don't think so. I basically need it emailed to me or on a flash drive. I'll probably have to wait til I'm home to look at it
I'm sorry,

I cannot change site policies. Sometimes I wish I could, because they are more of a hindrance then a help.

Let me know when you get home and check it. I understand your desire to add the additional functionality, but lets just make sure the basic functionality is there first.
Hey there. I was able to have a friend email me the file from the link. I'm not seeing any drop down menus in the menu part at the top left of the first tab? I wanted it so that you make selection off the four criteria and the blue columns populate. Let me know what ya think. I took a look at your code looks pretty complicated. Definitely over my head. Thanks.
um not sure why you are not seing the drop downs

they are there in the B column

Cells B2 Through B5

is that not where you wanted it?

did you see the dropdowns there?

you have to click in the cell and a list of options will apear

I have not heard anything back yet.

What is going on,

can you still not access the sheet?
hello?
Please click the "Reply to Expert" button, so we can continue our conversation

i did reply. in the cells you referenced there aren't any drop down menus. i can see there is a macro in the file and i have them enabled in my excel. if i click on the cells you reference its just the value thats already in there with no option to change anything. in my last messaged i embedded a screen shot of my excel, maybe that is why it didn't send? i don't know. let me know if you think i'm missing something or doing something wrong.

it is possible its a version issue

which version of excel are you using?

2007

ok, it should work.

if you click on any cell in

B2 - B5

you will see a little arrow appear next to it, should almost appear in the D collumn, you click that arrow to change the options.

If you do not see this arrow let me know, I may have to change the way this works.

i uploaded a screen shot with B2 highlighted. you can see there's no drop down handle and its just the value thats in there. not sure why it would be different for you?

http://wikisend.com/download/473058/screenshot.docx

i really don't understand that. But I see it, perhaps the data validation got lost when you opened the file.

I will have to change the way its being done.

Will get back to you tomorrow its getting late

ok. if it is helpful i can paste you the vba script as it appears in mine.

and here is the vba screen

http://wikisend.com/download/870824/vba.docx

Sub datacopy()
'Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Dim Array1(), Array2(), Array3(), Array4(), Array5(), Array6(), Array7(), Array8(), Array9(), Array10()
Dim Array11(), Array12(), Array13(), Array14(), Array15(), Array16(), Array17(), Array18(), Array19(), Array20()
Dim Array21(), Array22(), Array23(), Array24(), Array25(), Array26(), Array27(), Array28(), Array29(), Array30()
Dim Array31(), Array32(), Array33(), Array34(), Array35(), Array36(), Array37(), Array38(), Array39(), Array40()
Dim Array41(), Array42(), Array43(), Array44(), Array45()

Dim AV As Variant
Dim CV1 As Variant
Dim CV2 As Variant
Dim CV3 As Variant
Dim CV4 As Variant

'Dim AV1, AV2, AV3, AV4, AV5, AV6, AV7, AV8, AV9, AV10 As Variant
'Dim AV11, AV12, AV13, AV14, AV15, AV16, AV17, AV18, AV19, AV20 As Variant
'Dim AV21, AV22, AV23, AV24, AV25, AV26, AV27, AV28, AV29, AV30 As Variant
'Dim AV31, AV32, AV33, AV34, AV35, AV36, AV37, AV38, AV39, AV40 As Variant
'Dim AV41, AV42, AV43, AV44, AV45 As Variant

Dim f1 As Variant
Dim f2 As Variant
Dim f3 As Variant
Dim f4 As Variant

Dim a As Long
Dim i As Long

Dim lr As Long
Dim n As Long
Dim r As Long

f1 = Worksheets("main sheet").Cells.Range("B2").Value
f2 = Worksheets("main sheet").Cells.Range("B3").Value
f3 = Worksheets("main sheet").Cells.Range("B4").Value
f4 = Worksheets("main sheet").Cells.Range("B5").Value

Worksheets("underlying data").Activate
Worksheets("underlying data").Select
Range("A1").Select

lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For i = 1 To lr
CV1 = Cells.Range("A" & i).Value
CV2 = Cells.Range("B" & i).Value
CV3 = Cells.Range("C" & i).Value
CV4 = Cells.Range("D" & i).Value

If CV1 = f1 And CV2 = f2 And CV3 = f3 And CV4 = f4 Then

AV = Cells.Range("E" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array1(a)
Array1(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("F" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array2(a)
Array2(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("G" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array3(a)
Array3(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("I" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array4(a)
Array4(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("J" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array5(a)
Array5(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("K" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array6(a)
Array6(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("L" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array7(a)
Array7(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("M" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array8(a)
Array8(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("N" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array9(a)
Array9(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("O" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array10(a)
Array10(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("P" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array11(a)
Array11(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("Q" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array12(a)
Array12(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("R" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array13(a)
Array13(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("S" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array14(a)
Array14(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("T" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array15(a)
Array15(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("U" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array16(a)
Array16(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("W" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array17(a)
Array17(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("X" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array18(a)
Array18(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("Y" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array19(a)
Array19(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("Z" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array20(a)
Array20(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AA" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array21(a)
Array21(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AB" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array22(a)
Array22(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AC" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array23(a)
Array23(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AD" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array24(a)
Array24(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AF" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array25(a)
Array25(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AG" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array26(a)
Array26(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AH" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array27(a)
Array27(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AI" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array28(a)
Array28(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AJ" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array29(a)
Array29(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AK" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array30(a)
Array30(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AL" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array31(a)
Array31(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AM" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array32(a)
Array32(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AN" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array33(a)
Array33(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AO" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array34(a)
Array34(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AQ" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array35(a)
Array35(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AR" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array36(a)
Array36(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AS" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array37(a)
Array37(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AT" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array38(a)
Array38(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AV" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array39(a)
Array39(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AW" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array40(a)
Array40(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AX" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array41(a)
Array41(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("AZ" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array42(a)
Array42(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("BA" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array43(a)
Array43(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("BB" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array44(a)
Array44(a) = AV

AV = Cells.Range("BC" & i).Value
ReDim Preserve Array45(a)
Array45(a) = AV

a = a + 1
End If
Next i

Worksheets("main sheet").Activate
Worksheets("main sheet").Select

For i = 13 To lr
Rows(i & ":" & i).Select
Selection.Value = ""
Next i

If a > 0 Then
Range("A12").Select
r = 12

For n = LBound(Array1) To UBound(Array1)
Selection.Offset(1, 0).Value = Array1(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 1).Value = Array2(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 2).Value = Array3(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 4).Value = Array4(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 5).Value = Array5(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 6).Value = Array6(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 7).Value = Array7(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 8).Value = Array8(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 9).Value = Array9(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 10).Value = Array10(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 11).Value = Array11(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 12).Value = Array12(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 13).Value = Array13(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 14).Value = Array14(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 15).Value = Array15(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 16).Value = Array16(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 18).Value = Array17(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 19).Value = Array18(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 20).Value = Array19(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 21).Value = Array20(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 22).Value = Array21(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 23).Value = Array22(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 24).Value = Array23(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 25).Value = Array24(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 27).Value = Array25(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 28).Value = Array26(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 29).Value = Array27(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 30).Value = Array28(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 31).Value = Array29(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 32).Value = Array30(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 33).Value = Array31(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 34).Value = Array32(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 35).Value = Array33(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 36).Value = Array34(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 38).Value = Array35(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 39).Value = Array36(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 40).Value = Array37(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 41).Value = Array38(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 43).Value = Array39(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 44).Value = Array40(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 45).Value = Array41(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 47).Value = Array42(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 48).Value = Array43(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 49).Value = Array44(n)
Selection.Offset(1, 50).Value = Array45(n)

r = r + 1
Range("A" & r).Select

Next n
Range("A1").Select
Else
Exit Sub
End If

End Sub

thanks.

Will reply with something tomorrow
i have made some changes, let me know if you see the drop downs in this version.

http://ge.tt/35giPGx/v/0?c
so I suppose I will hear back from you tomorrow when you had a chance to try out the changes
Yah I'm not home yet. I'll take a look at it
ok.

Please let me know the results
ok.

Please let me know the results
hello?
hello hello?
Hi. I've been extremely busy at work working 14 each of the last two days. Have not had time for email. I will look as soon as I am able. Thanks.
great..

when you get a chance?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY SERVICE SO I GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME:

Register Here

I will continue to help you with this even after rating.

Thanks

ok so i opened the file. the drop down menus do work and it does filter data but it is not filtering correctly. the drop downs are supposed to have an entry for each selection one time like a menu. for example manager drop down should only have one iteration of each name, whereas this drop down appears to have every row in the underlying sheet, so someone's name like john J appears a number of times in the drop down menu. and the issue is the same for the other selection boxes - segment, RM level, and market. it looks like you're getting closer and i certainly appreciate all your effort but it doesn't function properly at the moment.

yes, that can be fixed later this is just the first draft. I wanted to make sure it was functioning properly.

Register Here

Register Here

in order to pay don't i have to have my question answered correctly? this isn't what i'm looking for...

you are correct,

however

the original question was answered, according to your original question, you asked to have the 4 drop downs added, that pull data from the 4 columns on the other sheet, then filter you data by those values. You said above that what I sent you is doing this.

So now we can complete the transaction

you are now asking for additional functionality. Per site rules that is considered a separate issue. I will be happy to add additional functionality once this transaction is completed.

my question states "I want to show ALL the employees (and their various accompanying performance stats, for example sales or # of clients) in a certain pay grade that report to a PARTICULAR manager. I want the spreadsheet to be such that at the top there is a dropdown to select a manager, and another dropdown to select a paygrade. Based on these selections a list (with first column employee name) several rows below will populate with the APPROPRIATE employees..."

this doesn't do that. there shouldn't be multiple iterations of the same manager. it doesn't populate appropriately.

Microsoft Office Technician: Lindie-mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Lindie-mod

I’m Lindie, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Lindie

well the pc answer guy was on the right track but ultimately this didn't function the way that i asked and it's not usable at all. if you can come up with someone else that would be good. i feel bad for the pc answer guy because we went back and forth a lot and he seemed to invest a fair amount of time in this but like i said it's ultimately not what i was asking for and doesn't function in any usable way.

replied 4 years ago

Thank you, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Lindie

Microsoft Office Technician: Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist replied 4 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Hello. my name is Michael.I can help you with your question. What you are trying to do isn't very complicated if I understand correctly. You mentioned that you have to filter in a way that you can't normally filter. However you can filter on multiple columns and you do that by selecting from a drop down on the top of each column. If those criteria like manager and salary you do not want repeated after the first row in the filter set all you have to do is hide all the cells in that row and then make the first one visible. So that whatever the user selects from the filter drop down. Will appear in the first row. Only the employee names with data matching those filter columns be displayed. Isn't that what you are looking for? If not let me know where I'm off, I will try to help you get there.

SQ11
Did we answer your question? Do you still have the problem standing?

Please, kindly rate this answer as this is the only way we get paid through the system.
Thank you
salah16
salah16
salah16, Software Engineer