Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Id like to copy a cell (say H5 (top of column H)) content

I'd like to copy a...
I'd like to copy a cell (say H5 (top of column H)) content to another cell say O2 but always so that it returns the latest top of column H result when I have inserted a new row.

I tried Control C $H$5 in O2 but when I insert a new row, $H$5 becomes $H$6 (of course) where I really always want the top result in Column H to be reported.

Can you help? Thanks heaps in anticipation
9/15/2013
Richard, Software Specialist
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

If you want to return the last value in Column H, in O2, then you would put the following formula in O2

=INDEX(H:H,MAX(MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,H:H),MATCH(REPT("z",255),H:H)))

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks Richard, no wonder I couldn't figure it out.

Have tried to send you an attachment of part of my spreadsheet without luck but basically its always the TOP value in column H I want to copy to O2..

I add a new row with data every day above the last top data row and its that new top value I want to have appear in O2..

Your formula returns #N/A currently in O2 ?? presumably the "last" value in your formula

I hope this makes sense

Thanks heaps,

Hi Ron

Best if I do see the file

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Thank you

Richard that's a handy website to know about

File ID is 933418

Hopefully that will help

Thank you again

ok, I see what you need

Use this Ron

=INDIRECT("H5")

In O2

This will always stay on H5, even when inserting a row.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist

Brilliant Richard thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a charm

Best wishes,

Your welcome Ron.

This formula will always keep the reference of H5

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating (the smiley faces below)

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist