Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Hello, I am using excel 2010 and ran across something I would

Hello, I am using excel 2010 and ran across something I would like to do and wonder if there is a way to do it. I have a series of data in a spread sheet. For instance, the file is to track all my bills. One column is one utility. For this lets say it is electricity. It has a entry for each month. I want to have a graph that would graph my electricity at the end of the column. I dont want it permanent but want it to act in the same manner a comment does. all I would have to do is put my curser on the cell and it would show the graph for the assigned cells. Is there a way to do this?
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

To clarify, you want the Graph as part of the Tool Tip correct?

If this is the case, it will not be possible. Excel does not support adding graphs within an actual ToolTip.

You could have the Sheet go to the Graph if you click the Cell though.

This is one workaround, and todo this you would use the Excel VBA code below

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address = Range("A1").Address Then _
Range("B5").Select
End Sub

This assumes you click A1, and it takes you to the Graph which is located on cell B5.

This is the only way you are going to get such a workaround

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

hank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was affraid of that, I was just hoping that it would be something like inserting a comment and then putting the graph in the comment linked to data in the defined column or row so that it would update to what is in either the row or column when you run your curser over the cell. Sounds like it should be simple but if it cant be done then it cant be done. I have found a way to make the graph and then link it to the cell so I have to click on the cell. Then I would have to close it when I finished viewing it. I would have to do that with each graph I wanted to see. . Each column would represent one bill, utility, etc. the rows would be each month. I was wanting to put one line graph comment at the end of each column to show a graph of the data on each column to watch usage of that bill and a pie graph at the end of each row so the overall demand for each month. Neat idea but if it cant be done then it cant be done. Thanks for trying. Perhaps it is possible with a different version of excel.

No, all versions of Excel cannot do this Noah.

The issue is the ToolTip text has only ever been developed for text, nothing further.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you