Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

When I open Excel it opens 20 PDF files Wis going on?

JATechSpecialis :

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer.com

JATechSpecialis :

Are you using Windows 7?

JACUSTOMER-u4ujyi07- :

no Mac OS X Lion

JATechSpecialis :

Oh, sorry. I am an Windows expect

JACUSTOMER-u4ujyi07- :

so now what?

JATechSpecialis :

I can open the question for others so that a proper Mac expert should be able to help you

JATechSpecialis :

Please do not rate me, you will get notified with another expert posts a reply

JACUSTOMER-u4ujyi07- :

That would be great Tnx

JATechSpecialis :

Thank you too

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you with your problem today!

This sometimes happens when Excel is associated with the incorrect extension. For example, if you are trying to open a PDF and OSX has associated Excel with PDF, rather than using Reader or Acrobat, OSX will have Excel open up the PDF.

You can check and reassociate your PDF file extension to Reader or Acrobat by changing the file associations as described and visualized in this tutorial here: http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tips-shortcuts/quick-tip-how-to-change-a-files-default-application/

Let me know if this helps

Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This did not work. I checked files that opened and they were all set to open with Adobe Acrobat Professional. I am using Microsoft Office 2011.

these files open when I start Excel to use, not when I open a pdf.

I'm sorry to hear that, can you tell the the content of the PDF that is opening up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Non of the content is understandable. There is also a .png file being tried to open and a .doc file also. I opened the .doc file in word and it is readable there. It has to be in the excel opening function as is does not open any .xlsx file and excel opened all the others it has been opening and NOT the excel file. Thank for working on this. Dr Dan.

When you start Excel without opening an excel file does it also open all this stuff?

When you start Excel by opening a spreadsheet file, does it open all this stuff AND correctly open the file that you want to open?

What does the .doc file contain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes opening excel either way all the files open. It does not open the doc file as it is not recognized. But opening the doc file word it is a letter.
Are these documents from the desktop?

Take a look at this: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-137295-excel-for-mac-opens-all-files-on-desktop

Seems like others have experienced a similar issue with Excel opening up all your documents on your desktop.

A solution to this issue is as follows:

Go into Documents and created a Folder (named "excel empty") and then went into Excel>Preferences>General and set the Open All Files In ... to this new empty folder. Seems to do the trick, as Excel now just opens to an empty worksheet.

Let me know if that helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr Dan, The files were on my desktop, so rather than make a new file folder, I move all the files to documents. Opened excel and it opened clean. many thanks for your search and efforts. All the best.