Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

How do I number my pages with Chapters being with odd numbers

Customer Question
without blank pages in between?...
How do I number my pages with Chapters being with odd numbers without blank pages in between?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
8/28/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: Bryan, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 years ago
Bryan, Computer Enthusiast

JBryan42 :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Bryan and I will be assisting you today. Please do not rate this session until it has been completed.

JBryan42 :

Well, first take a look at this Microsoft Support document to see if it helps explain how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326536

JBryan42 :

If that doesn't work the way you are hoping, you will need to write a VBA function that will not use the default numbering function, but instead place a number variable at the bottom of each page in your document. That variable would start with 1, and increment by 2 for each page. If that's the route you are hoping for, let me know how much experience you might have with writing VBA code.

JBryan42 :

If you're not using MS Word, but a different part of Office, please tell me which program you are using.

JACUSTOMER-7262y4iv- :

I did use Microsoft support and did not get the results I was seeking. I'm not familiar with VBA codes. I simply want each chapter to start on an odd page number. It must be an easy way because one see it all the time when reading books.

JBryan42 :

Are you using MS Word?

JBryan42 :

Did you see my question?

JBryan42 :

We appear to be having problems with the chat system. If you see this, refresh the page in about 30 sseconds while I switch to a Q&A format.

Yes, there seem to be a disconnect. I am using Word 2007.

Are you seeing my responses?

I am. The only problem with Q&A is there is a delay. But we'll get through it. Ok, so you are using Word 2007. Let me see if there is already a macro created that will do what you want. I'll be back with you shortly.

Can't reconnect......need to finish session to be satisfied. Why aren't you emailing me since we were disconnected? Tried to refresh several times.

Emailing is sent by JustAnswer, not by me personally. I am trying to find a solution for you but it is taking some time. A "Poor" rating reflects very badly on me personally and I really am doing all that I can to get your question answered to your satisfaction. Please, give me some more time.

Sorry for the "Poor" rating....I was actually trying to reconnect with you since we were disconnected. Nothing was working so I tried rating with a response......didn't mean for it to be a bad reflection on you. I will definitely change the rating.

No problem. I've found a few things, but since you're not familiar with VBA programming, they might be difficult to implement. I'm checking for some other options. Back with you soon.

OK...Thanks!

J,

It's 3:00 am here. I will check for your response in the morning.

Thanks for your help!

Ok, that's just what I was about to ask you. I will be working throughout the night to find the answer for you. Or to at least give you an idea of what we can do next. Just to be clear, you want the page numbers to only be odd, correct? So the first page would show 1, the second page would show 3, the third page would show 5, etc... Correct? If not, let me know but the code will be able to be easily modified to do 1, no page number, 3, no page number, 5, no page number, etc...
Ok, here is what I have for you so far. Don't let all the info overwhelm you, it's really not too difficult, just a lot of info to go through so you understand how it works.

Following the help of MSWord about formula field and this forum post about field typing under MSWord, you can type the following:

Page { = ({ PAGE }-1)*2+1 } of { = ({NUMPAGES }-1)*2+1 }

Whenever you see curly brackets, type Ctrl+F9 to insert them instead of typing them, else it won't work properly. It is mentioned only as a tip in the Word help also.

You can insert this one as a footer if you want to; inside the page, don't forget to press F9 to update the field values

If it's too much for you, let me know and I'll see what I can do to make it easier to follow.

Thanks J,

The formula is fine but I am not trying to have odd numbers only. I have fourteen chapters in the book. I need each chapter to start on an odd page number.

hmmm ... I'm not sure I understand. You have 14 chapters, but you don't want blank pages between chapters. But you only want a chapter to start on an odd-numbered page. Is that right?

Let's say Chapter 1 is 4 pages, what physical page number would it start on (I assume 1)?

And Chapter 2 is 7 pages, what physical page number would it start on? What would the page number in the footer say?

Finally Chapter 3 is 2 pages, same questions as Chapter 2.

First of all Chapter 1 would not start with page 1. In this instance it would start with page 11 due to the pages before such as title pages, copyright, dedication, acknowledgment, introduction, and TOC. Chapter 1 has 22 pages, therefore it ends on page 32 and Chapter 2 starts on 33...which is exactly what I want. The page number format is simply "start numbering at page 11". Maybe this is the problem. Maybe I should format it using "Different Odd and Even Pages". Can we test that? If so, I will need your help.

Ok, I think I understand. But then if (just for example) a chapter has an odd number of pages (let's say Chapter 2 has 19 pages), what page number would Chapter 3 start on?

Here's a couple videos to watch after you reply, while waiting for my next reply:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d9E6ZBuQw0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHsSJfEzsuI

That was my original question...I see in books all the time that Chapters start with odd numbers but how to make that happen, I don't know. I will view the videos now.

The first link you sent I wasn't able to hear anything and it was to small to read once I opened it. The second link is exactly what I used in my document.

I guess I'm still not quite grasping what you mean by "chapters starting with odd numbers". What if a chapter has an odd number of pages. Like for example:

Chapter 1 - 22 pages
Chapter 2 - 23 pages
Chapter 3 - 22 pages

Which page number would each of those start on?
Bryan, Computer Enthusiast