Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Hi, Microsoft. Two things have been bugging me for days and

I kept thinking I have...
Hi, Microsoft. Two things have been bugging me for days and I kept thinking I have to take the laptop to get it checked, which I was just too busy to do.
Child of the typewriter era, as you see. Now I belatedly realise that I can do it online, and am delighted to find you.
Problem one: this is a long, long, document, 60,000 words. It is full of little breaks,*'s and underscores, that all the way I have been in control of. Now, Word has decided it knows better and it turns the whole collection, hundreds of little discreet mini breaks, into great jarring full-page rules. Some of these are dotted rules in bold, some are solid rules.Two questions: how do I get rid of them? How do I not have them recur?
Problem two: some places in this document, the paragraph indent goes crazy. It goes right to the middle of the page, not the normal centimetre or so. The paragraph indent icon says nothing that I can see, and the place where I'm supposed to be able to increase or decrease indents… well, it lights up when I place the cursor next to it, but responds to nothing. Can you help? I'll be so glad, and impressed. All best [email protected]
8/26/2013
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

We are not Microsoft. They don't respond very easily they have 100 million customers. We are a third party website of experts called justanswer.com. We will help you with your problems for a small fee and I will be happy to do so for you now.

That sounds like you just switched to the wrong view. there is a set of little icons on one of the sides of the page or bottom ( it varies some by version or layout ) that you can click on to get different views. One of them shows every control code to make it easier to debug a page that isn't formatting the way that you want it to. But of course they really garble up the screen if it is on that mode constantly

If you tell me which version you are using I can get you mor exact instruction to switch the mode. But there will be 3 little icons that look like pages. clicking on one or another of them will put it back in the view that you want.

As for the indents you probably got caught in something else that changed the indents for that section. If you highlight the entire section that has them messed up you can put a new tab stop in the ruler above where you want it. Or you might be able to find the little control right before the section where it screws up and delete it.

If you can send me the document and tell me what page number it is on I can fix it for you

Below is where the view mode is on version 2013 but it might be somewhere else on a side of the page in a different version

graphic

flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

I am not sure if you received my original answer as it keeps popping up asking me to reply.

graphic
View Full Image

Yes, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX maybe 25y minutes ago sending you a snatch of text. I think you must have that by now. Let me reports that meantime the lines have entered a new phase. Suddenly I can which I definitely could not do even half an hour ago. However deleting a hundred pages of them is also damn nuisance. I'm hoping that there is some way that a magic command can get them back to where they were before the computer took over. I have also reconfirmed that the indent settings are all on zero. Cheers!

Usually if you highlight them all you can then change the indent settings on them all at once. if they are stuck in something like an auto indent or bulleting type format than trying to change one of them wont work

I did not get anything from you.

You can upload it at www.wikisend.com and copy and paste the download url in this post

or you can email it to [email protected] and reference this question http://www.justanswer.com/microsoft-office/7yl8q-hi-microsoft-two-things-bugging-days.html and ask them to forward it to me.

please send enough of it so that I can see what is wrong as far as the document around it goes and send it in an ms word format

thank you.

Robert,Sorry, can't continue now, an interruption happens. Thanks for trying and good wishes to you

ok you can post back in when you have time to work on it again. No worries on this end

Robert, hi, sorry to have vanished like that. State of play is that both those problems persist. I didn't give you a proper chance to fix them because things are too hectic this side. Both problems for some reason exist in one portion only of a book that I'm doing (which was in deadline week when I spoke to you and is now three days overdue). The fact that they are hanging there is going to be the publisher’s problem. My problem is getting the content finished. I think I've paid you a deposit or a holding fee or something like that. Won’t you let that simmer there in your good care for a while and I'll come back to you as soon as I have breathing space and we’ll figure out how to get that weird stuff out of all parts of my computer.

Thanks, hey. (I think you were doing fine, just that I ran out of waiting time). Denis

Ok that is fine. I will be happy to keep this question open for you and let you use it for some other computer problem. I hope that at some point you will give me an excellent rating when you are happy as that affects my standing on the site and allows me to be paid for my time
flopcat98
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant