Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

When I use an excel file with multiple sheets, and I want to

When I use an excel file with multiple sheets, and I want to change to view or change a sheet other than the one I am viewing, by clicking on the tab at the bottom of the page, Excel opens that desired sheet, but simultaneously opens a completely new file with a copy of the desired sheet, resulting in two files open with the same sheet. Most annoying if you are constantly jumping between sheets, you end up with many files all with just a single copy of a sheet. How do I stop this.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

When you say you click at a tab at the bottom, you mean the tab for the sheets?

eg: Sheet 1, Sheet 2?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, correct. When changing from typically sheet 1 to sheet 2, Excel automatically opens a new file with a copy of just sheet 2, leaving me with two files open, both open at sheet 2.

Thanks Peter

If the formula bar is floating just above the worksheet tabs at the bottom of the page, when you open a new tab, it'll open a completely new workbook for it. this is a "feature" Microsoft has made.

Can you ensure the Formula bar is not floating?

Please let me know

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, quite correct, the Formula bar was open just above the worksheet

tabs at the bottom.

I closed the Formula bar, and then toggled between sheets and no new workbook opened.

Simple answer, but you thankfully solved a very annoying problem.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Your most welcome Peter, strange why Microsoft did this though, as it is confusing for a lot of people.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you