rhess
rhess, PC Consultant
Experience:  I have extensive training in all versions of MS Office
64975016

Ive scanned material with a lot of colloquialisms such as

Customer Question

I've scanned material with a lot of colloquialisms such as (ridin'), (singin'), etc. in the dialog. There aren't that many of each but a lot of that pattern where the final "g" in a word ending in "ing" has been replaced with an apostrophe. I would like a quick way to get MS Word to ignore all such words without having to go through the entire material. Is there a way to achieve this, like maybe finding all in that pattern and unmarking them as misspelled?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  maomd replied 4 years ago.

maomd :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is Mark and I will be your expert today.

maomd :

What you will need to do is create an exception for each unique colloquialism within Word's Options.

maomd :

That way, Word will then ignore each one in the future and not autocorrect it.

maomd :

Please see the steps on this page on how to configure the exceptions.

maomd :

If you have any questions or need further assistance with this, please do not hesitate to ask.

maomd :

Thank you!

JACUSTOMER-1mz2ux25- : This was no help at all. I might as well work things manually.
Expert:  rhess replied 4 years ago.
If you've already got a list of the words, I would then take those words and add them to your custom dictionary. There is a file named CUSTOM.DIC located at %appdata%\Microsoft\UProof\ (just paste this location into Windows Explorer). Double click on the CUSTOM.DIC file and paste your list of words in there. Save the file when done, and Word will ignore these words.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You all are missing my point. I don't ha a list of words, I ha a pattern that I as a human can easily detect. But that requires ME to do the work. That, IMO is why one uses a computer - to have the computer do the work. I thought you guys were the experts. I know how to manually do it. How do I get the computer to do it. I.e. find in a particular doc words not it the dictionary but that match a pattern. That pattern is "some letters ending in in' " ... example - ridin' . It the way a person might say "riding" and the author is writing dialogue.

Let's just forget this. Y'all don't seem to be able to even understand the problem. How can you imagine a solution?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Go away. Leave me alone.
Expert:  rhess replied 4 years ago.
You specifically said "Found a macro online that found all misspelled words and created a new doc listing them. I then sorted and did a manual find of the ones that were truly erroneous."

If you want an answer to a question, then start asking the right question.

Good day.