Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

i want to automatically increase cost projections year-over-year

i want to automatically increase cost projections year-over-year by 10% across the board..i copied this year’s P&L to a new worksheet to serve as foundation for 2014 P&L...can I just highlight a whole section of data across multiple columns and rows and somehow increase all of the values by 10%?
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Can you send a copy or a dummy of the Excel file that you are working on so that I can see the data and work on your requirement myself? You can simply SAVE AS that file and save it as a separate TEST file, remove other data that are unwanted, or remove most of the data just leave a few for me to work on, then save it as a separate test file.

Then upload it to this link:

http://wikisend.com

No need to register at wikisend, just upload the sample Excel file, then wait for the page to show the 6-digit File ID or download link and post the File ID or download link when you reply so that I can get your file.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, Jess. I will upload the file now. Is there any way to chat through this live.??? My # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

File ID is 256592

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

File ID is 256592

Hi Drew,

Thank you for writing back. I am sorry but we do not provide phone support. Can you just continue with this mode of conversation?

I will wait for the File ID or download link so that I can see your file and your actual requirement. I can actually create a sample but it is always better if I work on your actual sample data so that I can address what you really want.

========
Edit:

I got your file. Okease give me a moment to check. I will get back to you with more questions about your actual requirement, or with the finished work.

Best regards,
Jess
Drew,

I am sorry but when I tried to download your file with File ID 256592, I got an error indicating the file does not exist.

Can you please give me the download link instead?

Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

try file id 963324 or this link: http://wikisend.com/download/963324/2012-2014%20Copy%20P&L.xlsx

Drew,

I got the file. There are 2 sheets, 2013 PL and 2014 PL. What do you want me to do with the 2014 PL? Which rows or columns are you actually working on?

You mentioned about adding 10%, which values do you want to add 10%? Which columns?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, I am hoping to get a “how-to" answer where I can increase specific rows or columns or multiple columns and rows simultaneously so I have

the know how in the future as well...

As an example, I need the january-december line item for row 6 to be 10% while the next line item might need a blanket 20% increase and then in “conference operations” I need to know how to take that entire block of line items (essentially from c20 down and across all the way to N58) and increase it by 10%

Having you just do it for me won’t allow me to learn how to do it for future work I need to do..

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

any suggestions?

Drew,

Let me clarify. Are you saying that in the first sheet "2013 PL", row 6 will be increased by 10% and this will be entered into row 6 on the second sheet "2014 PL"?

Here is what I have done so far:
http://wikisend.com/download/268608/2012-2014 Copy P&L_rev1.xlsx

The way to do it here is to click on cell C6 in the second sheet then press the = sign to start a formula. Since you will be referencing the data in the other sheet, click on the first sheet named 2013 PL and the name of the sheet will be entered into the formula. Now, select the cell you want to reference, and that is cell C6 also in the first sheet, then multiply it by 0.1 then add it to itself. Thus the formula created is:

='2013 P&L'!C6*0.1+'2013 P&L'!C6

Now, with the right formula in place, you can drag the "fill handle" to the right to copy the formula all the way to the December column.

The fill handle is the lower right corner of the cell, the mouse pointer turns to + when you posistion it to the fill handle.

Now, if the formula is the same below row 6, you can drag the fill handle down to copy it downwards. But if the formula is different, you cannot do that.

The perfect example is the conference operations block, since the increase is uniform at 10%. This is how it is done:

In the second sheet begin a formula by pressing = in cell C26. Then click the first sheet then select the equivalent cell C20. Multiply it by 0.1 then add it to itself (type + then click on the cell again and the formula will be entered automatically). When the first cell's formula is done in cell C26, click and drag the FILL HANDLE all the way down to C64. The formula will be copied automatically.

While C26 to C64 is selected, click and drag the fill handle again all the way to column N. Everything will be copied.

These are my screen shots:

Here is the completed file:
http://wikisend.com/download/577416/2012-2014 Copy P&L_rev2.xlsx

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you have any other questions, please ask me more or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks...I think I got it!

You're welcome Drew! I am glad to be of help. And thank you for the excellent rating and the generous tip!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

One more thing, in this scenario of yours, when you change anything from the first sheet, the data in the second sheet is affected since it is a computed data from sheet 1.

If you want to have an "independent" sheet 2 after doing the mass increase of 10 and 20%, I suggest then that you COPY the values in sheet 2 to remove the formulas. I don't know if this is what you want to do.

Copying values simply allow you to retain the data and remove the formula. So whenever data from sheet 1 is altered, sheet 2 is not affected.

TO copy values, for instance, in Sheet 2 (2014 PL), select the range C26 to N64. That is the conference operations block that you increased with 10%. Now, copy it by pressing CTRL+C or simply click on COPY in the Home tab/menu. See screen shot:

After that, you shall see a marquee around the selected range to indicate that it is being copied.

Now, without moving the selection (since we are to overwrite the formulas with the values only), click on the small arrow below "Paste", then under Paste Values, select the third option that says "Values & Source Formatting".

The result? All formulas will be gone, what are retained are the values only so they will no longer be affected by any changes in sheet 1.

See screen shot:

I hope this can help.

If you need assitance in the future, please let me know. You can request me or you can post a question "For jessmagz" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess