Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Looking for help with Outlook 2010. Appears to me,that - back

Customer Question
in 2010 I did not...
Looking for help with Outlook 2010. Appears to me,that - back in 2010 I did not set up Contacts correctly, which is now preventing me from making mailings with mail merge.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
6/27/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: Josh, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 years ago
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you,

Are you getting an error message?

No - trying to get a mailing out with Mail Merge. Worked fine a couple of years ago with Outlook 2007. Meanwhile updated to Outlook 2010. Somehow I did not set up the 'Contacts' section correctly.

Hi Rolf,

What exactly isn't setup correctly? Since I cannot see what you see, please tell me whats wrong.

Josh,

unless you have extensive experience working daily with Outlook, this consulting session may not work. I think we need to have a session where you can actually look at the screen.

If I knew what's not set up correctly, I would be miles ahead. For example, I have several contact groups. Seems there's a difference in how they are classified/set up in Outlook. For one they have different icons.

What I need is sort of a hands-on tutorial.....

Rolf,

I completely understand what you want and normally I could offer you remote support but I will be away from my desk for a couple of hours.

I will open this back up to the expert pool and if it hasn't been answered when I get back, we can setup a remote session time.

Sounds good....

(No reply required)
Microsoft Office Technician: NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 years ago
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast

Hello, This is Mahbub Shahin can Assist you.

You can solve your problem by following simple steps.

1. Open the Address Book lists for your mail profile;
File-> Account Settings-> Account Settings...-> tab Address Books

2. If the Outlook Address Book service is added already, you should mark your Contacts folder as an Outlook Address Book

3. If the Outlook Address Book service has not been added yet, press the New... or Add... button.

4. Select "Additional Address Books" and click Next.

5. Choose "Outlook Address Book" and click Next.

6. You'll be prompted that you must close and restart Outlook for changes to take effect.

7. Press OK and close and restart Outlook. The service is now added.

If the Outlook Address Book service is added into the profile you can make any Contacts folder (so even the additional ones you may have made yourself already) show in the Address Book. To do so right click the Contacts folder and choose Properties-> tab Outlook Address Book-> select option Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book

You will get your picture as graphic

If you still have a problem you can Remove your Contact Folder and do the steps as the LINK.

Hope it will be helpful. Please let me know if you have any question.

Mahbub,

Step 1 of your suggestion - where do I find the 'mail profile'? In Outlook Mail or in Outlook Contacts?

No matter Outlook Mail or Outlook Contacts

Step 1 is ---

Ok,

- got to the 'Address Book' tab

- Outlook Address Book is there

- now, step 2 - how and where do I 'Mark your Contact Folders....'

(By the way and for what it's worth - I have 8 contact groups, the first one on the top is named 'Contacts' which is the original and largest group, catch-all; I want to make mailings only to the other 7 groups)

NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast