Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Suddenly Cannot access Microsoft word document or any Microsoft

Customer Question
Office 2008 product on my...
Suddenly Cannot access Microsoft word document or any Microsoft Office 2008 product on my MAcbook Pro
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
6/7/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 4 years ago
Richard, Software Specialist
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

What is the error you receive when you try to open word?

Microsort has encountered an error and must shut down. No specific number. Have "sent" details.

Thanks Jane

Can you do the following please

Quit all programs.

On the Go menu, click Home > Library. If you have OS X 10.7 (Lion) or above, click Go, hold down the OPTION key and choose Library.

Open the Preferences folder and drag com.microsoft.Word.plist to the desktop. If you can't find the file, continue to the next step.

Now, open the Microsoft folder (in Preferences), and drag com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist to the desktop.

Note If you have Service Pack 2 installed, open Application Support > Microsoft instead of Preferences > Microsoft.

Then try to open Word.

Let me know the results please

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2013-06-07 12:30:33 -0400
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application Version: 12.0.0.071130
Crashed Module Name: OSServices
Crashed Module Version: unknown
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00022838
Blame Module Name: OSServices
Blame Module Version: unknown
Blame Module Offset: 0x00022838
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Thread 0 crashed:
Here are the details to error message. How do I close all programs and not loose you? It is not just word but all of Microsoft Office 2008.

You need to add this page to your bookmarks in Safari, and then you return here

Close all programs, reopen them and Let me know the results please

Followed instructions but with mixed/limited results. Opening from desk top gives a black word document and opening from dashboard or Document gives same message as before.

ok, then we need to reinstall Office.

Can you follow the instructions here please to uninstall Office from the computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2500821

Once done, restart the computer and install Office again.

Let me know the results please

Office was installed at the store when I bought the computter. I do not have disks

ok.. it is only legal if you have the disks Jane, so that were not meant to do this.

Are you 100% sure you did not get a disk as it is very rare for a company to do this.

I have Office 2000for Small business and have never knowingly loaded illegally but when I bought MAC at Best Buy they gave me IWork which I have. They also misspelled my name on the ID and gave a wrong birthday on the set up. Anything is possible. Any other ideas?

We need to reinstall it,

I would request the Office disk as if you purchased office then you are entitled to it.

Else you need to purchase and install Office from here Jane

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/office-2011-digital-download

But a reinstall is necessary.

I hope THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR THIS CALL> I know enough to reinstall if possible. I am not so sure that is the problem. Four years ago I was a computer innocent and obviously was taken. DID the information from additional information give a clue to the problem?

There is a charge, for this service, and we have gone through all the causes for this problem.

If you dont want to compensate me for my time, that is your choice as the customer.

I feel compensation is not warentted as I still have no answer.

You have an answer, you need to perform a reinstall, your issue is you do not have the disk.

But I am not going into discussion, as I mentioned, you choose to not pay for your answer.

Richard, Software Specialist