Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I requested and received assistance from you a couple months

I requested and received assistance...

I requested and received assistance from you a couple months ago, which I was pleased with the assistance. So, you should have my name and other data on file, I suspect. I need assistance with formulas in matching data from 2012-13, say grade 3, with student data from the prior year when they were a 2nd grader, in a desired format. I would like to have this same data for other grades (ie grades 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 4 to 5), while still retaining students that don't match, still being recorded. I have a file I can send you with diagram of what I want. I want the formulas you design, so I can apply it to other schools. Thank you. Tim xxxxxxxxx

6/7/2013
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

please upload the sheet to the wikisend website and provide the download link, Then you can describe to me what you are looking to do.

JACUSTOMER-ap9g6r62- :

Please tell me again how to get to the wikisend website and forward my file to you.

The-PC-Guy :

sure

The-PC-Guy :

www.wikisend.com

The-PC-Guy :

after uploading the file to them

The-PC-Guy :

they will give you a link

The-PC-Guy :

paste the link here

The-PC-Guy :

seams that I lost you.

The-PC-Guy :

Guess you will paste the link when you are ready.

Customer:

Andrew,

Customer:

Sorry about the delay, but somehow I was logged out.

Customer:

I uploaded the file in need your assistance in through wikisend. The file number is XXXXX

Customer:

Thank you. Tim

Customer:

Were you able to access the file and understand the request?

The-PC-Guy :

have the file

The-PC-Guy :

but I don't understand what you n eed

Customer:

I would like you to match the names in the 2011-12 data set with those for 2012-13, advanced by one grade from the 2011-12 school year.

The-PC-Guy :

so if the first and last name exist in both, you want all of the information from 2012-13 copied to the middle set?

Customer:

Yes, I want the 2012-13 data to match the 2011-12 data advanced by a grade; I've given you example with the first some names to how I want it done. So, what I am doing, is seeing how a 2nd grader in 2011-12 did in 2012-13 as a 3rd grader...does this make sense?

The-PC-Guy :

not particularly

The-PC-Guy :

i am just tyring to figure out where the data in the middle set comes from

The-PC-Guy :

it looks like it is from 12-13

The-PC-Guy :

the columns on the right

Customer:

The data in the middle is an example of how I want you to perform the task. Yes, I want you to match the names of 2011-12 (at the far left), with the 2012-13 data.

The-PC-Guy :

i understand its an example

The-PC-Guy :

i'm stilll a little confused

The-PC-Guy :

i am matching the data on the left and right

The-PC-Guy :

and entering the results of ones that match in the middle

The-PC-Guy :

but using the data from the right

The-PC-Guy :

however on the sheet at the top in your instructions it says the ones that don't match

Customer:

Yes, I want you to match the names on the left with the names on the right; for those that don't match I still want you to list them - so they would have no data, if the name on the left or right does not match.

The-PC-Guy :

ok so we want both

The-PC-Guy :

if the name on the right matches the one on the left

The-PC-Guy :

it gets the data from the right

The-PC-Guy :

if not

The-PC-Guy :

its blank

Customer:

Yes, I want all names to appear, even if there is not a match for either one year or the other.

The-PC-Guy :

then you may need to have this done in 2 different middle sets

The-PC-Guy :

otherwise I think you may get duplicates

Customer:

No, there would not be duplicates; take a look at my example in the middle; you'll most of the names will match from 2011-12 grade 2 to 2012-13 grade 3, but some do not, so you'll see them with a blank for either 2011-12 or 2012-13

The-PC-Guy :

ok

The-PC-Guy :

i think what was confusing me is that i think you are saying you want it done for both directions

The-PC-Guy :

but it really only needs to be done for 1 direction

The-PC-Guy :

matching those in 13 to those in 12

The-PC-Guy :

it would either match or be blank

The-PC-Guy :

no other options

Customer:

No, the anchor is 2011-12; I want to see if the same students have a data set for the next year in 2012-13. For some students that had data in 2011-12, they are enrolled elsewhere and do not have the data at the same school the next year; for other students, they were not in the school in 2011-12, but they were in 2012-13 and have data. I want to see all their data, but, I want the students with both years of data to appear as well. And, remember, this is for 2 to 3, 3 to 4 and 4 to 5.

The-PC-Guy :

i'm sorry, but I am totally lost

The-PC-Guy :

you want to pull the data from the right columns

The-PC-Guy :

but you want me to go through the left columns

The-PC-Guy :

to see if the name is XXXXX XXXXX right columns

The-PC-Guy :

but not the other way around

The-PC-Guy :

so inotherwords

The-PC-Guy :

i am using previous year data to check against current

The-PC-Guy :

i'm trying to get the big picture before I do anything

The-PC-Guy :

its difficult to creat anything without having a solid understanding of it

Customer:

I think you got it. Can you call me on my cell at XXX-XXX-XXXX to confirm?

The-PC-Guy :

lol, Tim they do not allow us to do phone calls

The-PC-Guy :

sorry

The-PC-Guy :

let me try to put something together and you can let me know if it works for you or we need to go back to the drawing board

Customer:

Ok, please do so. I think you do have it now.

The-PC-Guy :

i hope so

The-PC-Guy :

give me a few mins

The-PC-Guy :

well im getting something

The-PC-Guy :

this should be it if I understood correctly

The-PC-Guy :

let me know if this works

Customer:

I want the student last name/first name from 2011-12 to match with the student last name/first name for 2012-13 - one line per student. So, for example, for Ashley Aviles who had data for 2011-12 as a 2nd grader, I want her 2012-13 data from grade 3 to be on the same line as the 2011-12 data. And, for students missing either 2011-12 or 2012-13, I still want them to appear in the data set, in alphabetical order for that year. Does this make sense?

The-PC-Guy :

then I would need to pull the 11-12 data

Customer:

No, just match the 2011-12 data set, by student last/first name with the 2012-13 data set - one line of data by student.; keep the entire 2011-12 and 2012-13 data sets intact, just move the 2012-13 data set to match the names of 2011-12; Again, grade 2 (2011-12) with grade 3 (2012-13), grade 3 (2011-12) with grade 4 (2012-13), etc.

The-PC-Guy :

yea

The-PC-Guy :

i think that will work

The-PC-Guy :

try this one

Customer:

You got it! This is exactly what I need! I want to copy your code to other schools, so I can do the same thing. I assume the page/column format must be exactly the same to replicate. Is this so? Thanks again for your patience and good work. Tim

The-PC-Guy :

yes

The-PC-Guy :

try to keep everything the same

The-PC-Guy :

the other thing to remember when copying

The-PC-Guy :

press

The-PC-Guy :

CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER

The-PC-Guy :

to paste the formula

The-PC-Guy :

or it wont work

Customer:

Okay, go it. If I run into trouble I'll contact you again. Thanks again.
Tim

The-PC-Guy :

ok

The-PC-Guy :

please rate when ready

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Tim, please remember to rate with one of the buttons at the bottom of the screen so I am reimbursed for my time.

If you need me further on this topic, we can still chat even after your rating.

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager