Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Hi I need help with Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet tracks

the repayment of equipment...
Hi I need help with Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet tracks the repayment of equipment , when I enter the repayment figure I want to calculate the outstanding (easy) but I want the outstanding amount flow to the another column ready for the next months payment entry to calculate and also have the last outstanding figure populate another cell so I can then link this cell to a summary page. Not sure if I explained it clearly - best to see the spreadsheet to have a clearer picture.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/6/2013
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Can you share a copy of your Excel file so that I can do it myself? Just SAVE AS the file then remove the confidential data so that you can share it to me.

To share the file, please upload the file to this link:
http://wikisend.com

No need to register there, just upload the file and wait for the screen to show a 6-digit File ID. Post that file ID when you reply so that I can download the file.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Hi Jess, the file ID = 133196. So when I enter the next debit (H6) and/or credit (I6) = current outstanding figure in J6 which then also populates G7 etc. I also want the last current outstanding figure in J29 for which I will link to a summary page. Let me know if this is not clear.

Thanks

Eddie

Eddie,

I got your file and I made modifications in your formula, adding conditions to them to fit your requirement. I hope I get these things right.

Now, there are only 2 locations of INPUT here, the Debit and Credit columns, H and I respectively. The rest of the columns shall just show calculation results.

Now, if you enter a Debit, a calculation is triggered so Outstanding and Current Outstanding will show values. The trigger here is the DEBIT column. If nothing is entered, the calculation will not be performed thus the cells will display " " (blank).

Here is the download link for your modified file:
http://wikisend.com/download/265730/EQ Template_rev1.xlsx

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me more or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Eddie,

In my first answer, I missed the J29 part. You want it to always display the last Current Outstanding so the procedure here is to check the J column for the last row since this is always the Current Outstanding. I also believe that the values decreases, right?

So I decided to use the SMALL function. This will give the smallest value in Column J.

Here is the second revised file:
http://wikisend.com/download/147860/EQ Template_rev2.xlsx

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Thanks Jess, that's perfect!

Regards

Eddie

Eddie,

I am glad to be of help. If you need assistance in the future, you can request for my assistance. You can also post a new question "For jessmagz" so that I can help you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess
Hi Jess, I'm finalising the Summary sheet - just a question.

First Sheet is the Summary sheet, the subsequent 100 sheets are the same for each equipment (the sheet you helped me with)

I've linked the first 3 equipment to the summary sheet (9 cells linked per equipment).

Is there an easier way to replicate the link for each sheet or do I have to it manually like what I have done to the first 3 equipment?

Regards
Eddie
Eddie,

I am not sure how you do the linking. Is it through a reference formula? (Like =J2)
Since only sheets are linked and you are only working in one excel file, it will be easier for you to just copy and paste the formula in the Summary sheet.

I don't actually know the contents of the summary sheets. But for instance, in your Summary sheets, if J2 has the formula =Sheet2!J29, which displays the content of of cell J29 in another sheet named Sheet2, it will be easier for you to COPY the formula in the right cell in Summary Sheet but be sure to change only the sheet name. That is also manual but will be easier I believe especially if building the formula requires several mouse clicks.

Thus, IF column J in Summary sheet for example has:

J2 => =Sheet2!J29
J3 => =Sheet3!J29
.
.
.

It is easier to copy the formulas in the formula bar then edit the sheet names. It will be faster then manually creating the formulas through mouse clicks.

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess
Thanks Jess, yes the formula in the summary sheet for instance =Sheet2!J29 but each sheet does not have a generic name with sequential number and there is over 60 of them but I suppose it would still be quicker to copy the formula and edit the sheet name.

Thanks for your advice.

I'll be sure to ask for you the next time I have a more difficult issue.

Regards
Eddie
You're welcome Eddie. I am glad to be of help. If you need assistance in the future, you can always request me. Or you can post a new question "For jessmagz" so that I can help you immediately.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist