Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Windoes installer shows a error 1606 when I try to open word

Customer Question
or office in microsoft office...
Windoes installer shows a error 1606 when I try to open word or office in microsoft office 2007. I have tried to upgrade but when it comes to upgrading after checking what is needed it just cuts out and reports that it cannot upgrade
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
5/5/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 4 years ago
Richard, Software Specialist
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

This can be due to corruption in either the registry or hard drive and I want to rule this out first please.

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will complain the Volume is in use and to run on restart. Say YES and restart the computer

Than try to open Office and let me know please if you still have the problem.

Thank you

Sorry did all you asked but when running chkdsk/f it only reisterd up to 78% en could not complete 100%. When clicking on excel the following messages appeared:

Windows instaler thereafter preparing to install and then Wait until windows cobfigures microsoft office standard 2007 and finaly error 1606 could not acces network location.

The fact that chkdsk could not complete is a serious problem.

When did this problem start?

I have just reported that there is no improvment and you (PC) sends me exactly the same proses as previously. I have done aal the steps. pleas answer with a different message

I asked a question which is important to know, I did not send the same process again.

I will repeat it

When did the problem start?

It started about 3 weeks ago after updates from windows. I did change the date to n day before the download but no success

Thanks, then windows has corrupted.

We have tried to repair it, but this is not possible.

You are going to need to do a reinstall of windows in order to remove this issue.

We should be able to do this from the hard disk, so can you please first backup any data you need to keep as this removes all data from your computer (Applications you will need to install again).

And then tell me please what Brand your computer is.

Thank you

I have a acer aspire with vista 32 bit. I have downloaded a programme to backup my data. can you help me get the name again it is somthing like easy transfer and how it works

Yes, you can download it here

Click Me

Then run it and backup to an external hard disk.

Then turn off the computer.

Turn it on and as it is start keep pressing Alt + F10 until the recovery manager appears.

Follow the instructions to perform a Factory Recovery which will reinstall windows.

Once done, Download and install Easy Transfer and Restore your files.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi me again sorry after 3 in the morning last night I did not see my way open to do all. The click me downloaded but did not work so I started transfering the docs and pictures myself but windows installer stops me as soon as i try to save office outlook. Still cant save the info. I would like to know if i can download windows 7 now .I ran the check and it approved the free download

Ok, are you able to download it?

I ran the windows upgrade installer sucsessfully but was scared that I would loose certain programmes such as micro office .I am ignorant as far as the effect on my pc will be. I did also download wimdows vista upgrade to windows 7custom successfully but did not install it it

You will not loose programs during the Upgrade, can you run this?

I will try and get back to you

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist