Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  MS Office expert
30970729

"This document cannot be opened because it is in use by another

"This document cannot be opened because it is in use by another user. Do you want to make a copy?" This message occurs quite often and all in the office deny that they have the file open. Is there any other reason for this message?

Welcome to JustAnswer!

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question.

This is a common problem with shared documents accessed over networks - it is not always due to a guilty person still having the document open.

Anything that accesses files in real time (antivirus, syncing, backups or indexing software) can also cause this message to appear.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it is not due to a guilty person then why does it happen, and what can be done? Does my small office need to call in an expert to correct the issue? Is it a serious issue?

Hi Gai,
This happens because other network applications have the files open, not humans.
For example, an antivirus program may have access to the file as it performs a periodic scan of all files just as you try to open it. Or some backup software may be accessing the file if a backup has been scheduled. If the file is synced with a folder at a different network location, this may also be periodically locking and checking the file.
It's quite normal in a network environment to get this issue from time to time and it's no cause for alarm. If it is causing a lot of problems, you can try to eliminate it by scheduling anti-virus software to run less frequently, backups to run at night, etc.