Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Hi There Im having a very hard time solving a formula that

Hi There I'm having a very...
Hi There

I'm having a very hard time solving a formula that is integral for what I'm doing, It's a MAX (or percentage of, rather) of a column in a dynamic range. I can get the MAX function to work fine when it's on the same line,. However, I need say a 50% MAX value from the beginning of the column to the following line. Should the previous line be less thaen the 50% MAX value, then ZERO, if it exceeds the 50% MAX value, then ONE!
4/7/2013
Richard, Software Specialist
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

this is in excel correct? Can I see the file please? And can you tell me the columns / rows involved?

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

ok I'll send the file

thanks

sorry when I try upload the life, it sends then I await for a number as such, then blank screen????

Can you try this web site please

http://ge.tt

OK Richie try this http://ge.tt/9zhVVOd/v/0

Thanks

So you need 50% of the Max of a Range Michael?

Which Range?

Hi Richie, The range to the left of the MAX column. It's important to note that this is NOT a static list, it's dynamic and active as its for Roulette,. So please try to understand how it should work. IF the previous spin was less than the 50% MAX, then zero. Maybe its can't work, because when its not on the same line, then it throws the whole thing out and it looses.

It cant real be on the same line as it throws the results way out!

Michael

Sorry Michael, I am not understanding the requirement.

I am best to opt out, and another expert can better assist.

you do not need to do anything, or wait online, as another expert will take this up and message you.

I am sorry I could not solve this for you, and wish you all the best.

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

so basically you want to compare, the max column that is column U to the previous value in the Balance column S. So for example in your sheet, -6 on row 16 column U, and a -12 in row 15 of column S. These are the 2 values you want to compare?

So if -12 is less tham 50% of -6 in this case you want a 0 entered in column W row 16? and if -12 is greater than 50% of -6 you want a 1 entered. So in this case 50% of -6 is -3, and -12 is less than -3 so you would want a 0 entered?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Hi Andrew,

I think you get the idea, however, one can't apply it to a single line, when you run it down it eqautes, or if it does then it does not work cause if it hits and you have a zero then its a downward spiral. I think it can't work and a different formula is needed. Being on the same line is like putting you money down as the ball drops in the socket if you know what I mean. Any suggestions on another way to tackle the issue is welcome.

Michael

if you can tell me exactly what needs to be compared to what I can probably create a formula for you. I think you just confused me with not applying to a single line. Let me send you this file in which I set up the formula I described earlier and you can let me know if this works for you. If not, we can play around with it a bit.

http://ge.tt/4K3IpOd/v/0?c
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

Hi Andrew,

After checking it appears to work, but not really, You really need to not use RAND to generate numbers, because it can appear that it works but in reality it doesn't. One has to input row by row, then you will see what I mean. I'm preparing a template that will help you understand the issue. In reality its sometimes work and sometimes not, something to do with the next row, previous row thing I thought, that's what I'm struggling with. I'll email it in an hour or so when complete.

Thanks,

Michael

i will be happy to continue to help. Yes its true that RAND() is probabilistic based, that is it is not a true random number. Rather it is called a psuedorandom number.

I think this is more of a physics problem then a statistics problem. That is you are trying to predict where a ball will land on a roulette wheel. So what variables do you need to consider. I was never too good a calculus, but here is what I remember from physics classes. RPM of the wheel spinning(Remember this is changing it slows down over time, so a logarithmic function would be required, mass of the steel ball, Coefficient of friction, this will be 2 variables friction of the steal ball against the spinner, friction of the spinner against its housing. Assuming you have tools that can measure all of this, then it might be possible to get a more accurate prediction.

Anyway I'm just thinking out loud, lets see what you come up with.
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager