Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I am using Excel 2007. I have a large worksheet with Approx

Customer Question
I am using Excel 2007...
I am using Excel 2007. I have a large worksheet with Approx 112K rows. I am interested in specific groups of transactions where a unique account number is XXXXX and I need all of the associated account transactions. There could be anywhere from 2 - 10 transactions within a group. There is a unique sequence number used for each group of transactions. I can't figure out how to extract only the groups that have the unique account number, with all of the associated accounts. Obviously I can do a filter on the unique acct number but that does not give me the other account transactions associated with it. I have read Bill Jelen's Mr Excel book trying to find a solution but can't identify one. This book has been very helpful for other solutions but need help with this one.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
4/2/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 4 years ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Andrew, I will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

if I am to understand you correctly

The-PC-Guy :

you have a collumn of account numbers

The-PC-Guy :

123

The-PC-Guy :

45

The-PC-Guy :

6

The-PC-Guy :

122

The-PC-Guy :

124

The-PC-Guy :

125

The-PC-Guy :

123

The-PC-Guy :

ect

The-PC-Guy :

then a column of other data

The-PC-Guy :

and you want to see the other data where ever the number 123 appears in this colllum?

The-PC-Guy :

does this about sum it up?

JACUSTOMER-dffq6gio- :

Not quite. Each of the above account numbers you outlined can appear numerous times, each with a different transaction number. If the account 123 appears in a transaction along with any other account number, I want to see that with all associated account numbers.

JACUSTOMER-dffq6gio- :
Cust Number Customer Name Date Sequence Num Account
451550 MURHPY'S 2/23/2007 95361642 008008
451550 MURHPY'S 2/23/2007 95361642 001017
451648 MURPHY'S AT THE PINES 2/23/2007 95361644 008008
451648 MURPHY'S AT THE PINES 2/23/2007 95361644 001017
451657 MURPHY'S 2/23/2007 95361645 008008
451657 MURPHY'S 2/23/2007 95361645 001017
451660 MURPHY'S 2/23/2007 95361646 008008
451660 MURPHY'S 2/23/2007 95361646 001017
452697 MURPHY'S ATCO 2/23/2007 95361647 008008
452697 MURPHY'S ATCO 2/23/2007 95361647 001017
459024 MURPHY'S AT THE LAKE 2/23/2007 95361660 008008
459024 MURPHY'S AT THE LAKE 2/23/2007 95361660 001017
459047 MURPHY AT THE FORGE 2/23/2007 95361666 008008
JACUSTOMER-dffq6gio- :
150100 CASH SALE 3/2/2007 95743963 008008
150100 CASH SALE 3/2/2007 95743963 812840
JACUSTOMER-dffq6gio- :

If you look at the following examples, at the bottom of this example there is a transaction number 95743963 with 2 different account numbers and 4 transactions. Any time the account 812840 shows, i want to be able to select those 4 transactions. Since none of the account numbers above include this account, I am not interested and don't want to include in my data.

JACUSTOMER-dffq6gio- :

I forgot to include the dollar amounts. There would be an amount associated with each of the accounts.

The-PC-Guy :

this is sounding way to complicated, i will opt out so another expert can help you

JACUSTOMER-dffq6gio- :

Would some type of nested If statement work?

it would be possible to do something like this where if you have column A on a separate sheet filled with the customer numbers you want to match up

I can have the sheet fill in the corresponding account numbers. The only issue is you will get duplicates if they exist, there is no way around this.

Also I would prefer to work from your actual sheet if possible.

I did not get a satisfactory answer nor does it appear that you are aware of what I am asking, and I see that my account has been fully charged. Please advise what further information you need so that I can help you to get an appropriate resolution.

You apparently did not read the information I provided earlier. I am not trying to match data to a specific customer. If that were the case I could easily do that with a V Lookup. Again, what I am trying to do is retrieve data with a specific account number, 812840 as shown above, and also pull any additional data associated with that transaction's sequence number. I will be unavailable for a couple of days, so if you need a file I can possibly send to you on Friday. Please provide an email address to which I can send the file.

I am not sure I fully understand the requirements. It would be best for me to refer you to another expert that can better assist you.
Microsoft Office Technician: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 4 years ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager