Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

What is the best effective software that can Recover corrupt

Customer Question
xlsx file...
What is the best effective software that can Recover corrupt xlsx file
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
4/1/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 4 years ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

When you tried to recover the corrupted XLSX file, did you recover some of the data? Or recovery is entirely unsuccessful?

Also, can you send a "copy" of the corrupted file so that I can try to recover contents of it myself? If this is possible, you can upload corrupted XLSX file in this link below, then wait for the screen to show the 6-digit File ID. Post the File ID when you reply so that I can download the file. Just upload the corrupted file there, no need to register.

Here is the link:
http://wikisend.com

Best regards,
Jess

Got nothing! a moment to try to upload

Hi Sher,

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about this Excel problem of yours. Basically, the recovery of any corrupted file depends on how "corrupted" the file is, or how it got corrupted.

I will wait for the File ID so that I can get the file and try to recover the data.

Can you please tell me how this file got corrupted? Did you transfer it to an external drive and then the transfered copy is corrupted? Did the file got bloated (too big file size) after using it for several years?

Jess

Last time used was a day ago 31/3 - it's on flash-pen. Don't know how it got corrupted!

Should I now press "Download file"

S E A R C H & OPEN SITES.xlsx

Sher,

Don't you have another copy of this file somewhere in your computer? Have you uploaded the file to wikisend.com already? Just give me the 6-digit File ID so that I can download your corrupted file.

Jess
Here is a link showing how to use wikisend.com:

http://technicalforum.org/windows/how-easily-share-files-using-wikisend

Jess

• File ID: 139866

• File size: 0 B

Meaning could't be uploaded - it is 1176 KB !!

As said, the 6-digit File ID 139866

Sher, thank you for the File ID. I will now try to download it.

Jess
Sher, that is an empty file! It is 0 Bytes.

Please check your flash drive and locate the file there. Is it really showing 0 bytes there?

Meaning could't be uploaded - it is 1176 KB by me !!

Meaning could't be uploaded - it is 1176 KB by me!!

Ok. Please copy that 1176 KB file from your flash drive to your computer's hard disk drive, like in your desktop screen or My Documents.

After copying, upload the copied file to wikisend.com, NOT the file from the flash drive.

Dear Jess, as corrupt it can't be moved or upload - when try to copy: Error ox80070570: The file is corrupted and unreadable . That is why I asked for a software that can Recover corrupt xlsx file!! :-)

Sher,

I believe this is NOT a file issue, but an issue with the flash drive. if files are corrupted, it does not neccesarily mean that they can't be moved or copied even though they are unreadable.

Are there other files in the flash drive now? Have you tried opening other files to see if only this excel file is damaged?

Also, please tell me the version of Windows you are using. Is it Windows XP, Vista or 7.

There are ~1000 file in, many are xlsx than I copied to other places and open without any problem - W7

Sher,

If you cannot copy the file to your computer, then corruption is so severe and this has something to do with the flash drive or how the file was written to the disk previously. For instance, if the file was already opened in Excel and the flash drive was ejected by force or manually, this can cause this kind of corruption problem.

Another cause of this is that as you are using the flash drive, it might have developed a bad sector in the drive and part of the excel file is written in that bad sector.

Now, what we can do is run Check Disk in your Flash Drive. At this point, please MOVE some of the files from the flash drive to your computer to free up some space since the procedures that follow requires a considerable amount of free space to scan and repair the flash drive. Please make sure that there is 40% of space in the drive that is free. For instance, if the drive is 16Gb, please ensure that around 6.4Gb if the drive is FREE space and only 9.6Gb is filled or written with data.

After that, please do the following Check Disk with Repair options:
  1. Click Start => Computer
  2. Locate the USB Flash dirve among the listed drives. For instance, drive D, E, F, etc.
  3. When located, right click on it then click on Properties
  4. Then click on the Tools tab
  5. Under "Error checking" click on Check Now button
  6. Here is my screen shot:

7. In the small dialog box that opens, click on the two check boxes to put check mark on each box
  8. Screen shot below:
  9. Then click on the Start button to start the check of the flashdrive and the recovery of the bad sectors
  10. This will take some time depending on the size of the disk. Please be patient

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need.

If you have any other questions, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively (1-2 stars/faces). Instead, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

My knowledge is that running Check Disk in Flash Drive is not adviced!! also seems not necessary when all .. ALL other files are OK. To make it simple it would be better to try answering my main question Jess: "What is the best effective software that can Recover corrupt xlsx file ???"

Sher,

I need to explain this and if you still need more information, please let me know.

No, you an run check disk in a flash drive just like other computer drives like drive C. It will scan your data and checks if there are inconsistencies with the file structure and attempts recovery of the lost files.

The scenario is, when a file is written on the drive and part of the files are not written correctly, then the file is corrupted. It will not open normally. If the data that was not written correctly to disk is so "big" part of the file, the file will not open at all. In minor data corruption, the file opens but the some part of the file is not readable.

Now, I see this corruption as a flash drive issue, not a file issue. You cannot use any Excel Recovery software at this stage of recovery because the file is not even readable because of the chunks of data that is missing or written in a damaged part of the flash drive.

So the best approach here, I highly suggest is to scan the flash drive for recoverable data. This is where the checkdisk method I gave you is important.

Now, if after doing the check disk and the file is still NOT opening, please use this free tools to recover your data from the flash drive. These are the best tools to recover the data, NOT just Excel files.

TestDisk
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Second tool is Reccuva, here is the download link:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

This tools will recover corrupted data from a drive, even those already deleted data, NOT just Excel files.

Not, if the file is recovered, that is the time that you will use your Excel Recovery Tools or software to recover the Excel data of the recovered file since this recovered file can now be read by the computer.

The best tools actually are these listed below:

http://www.xlsxrepairtoolbox.com/

https://online.officerecovery.com/excel/

http://www.stellarinfo.com/excel-recovery.htm

You can try to download the DEMO version then test if the tool can read the recovered file. If it can read it, then recovery will then take place.

information you need.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

OK Jess, that would take long time, first now freeing 50% of the flash pen then woul continue. In the mean time let me ask you about a method you might have read, heard about :

to add an extension .zip to the corrupted file - then open - repair the archive. Thereafter switch the file extension back to .xlsx and try to open. Would that do more damage to the file ??

Sher,

I already did that before. This method is useful for minor corruption only. That is, if the XLSX file is corrupted and Excel will not open the file with an error message indicating an error in the XML content of the file. This means that the Excel file is readable but then something inside the file, in most cases a layout glitch, is breaking the XML data of the Excel file causing the issue.

In this case, the method you described is useful. It also works with MS Word files.

However, your case is different. You can't even make a copy of the file. It is safer if you can make a copy of the file and then work on the copies to recover the file while keeping one as a backup in case the file is damaged in the recovery process.

Keep me posted.
Jess

Not finished yet, but I noticed a file ~ar3FD8.xar that was produced at the same time with equal size and time to the corruption. Most probably it is the crashed one. Can this be uploaded to you Jess???

Sher,

Please allow the process to complete. Are you still in Check Disk now?

Yes start short time ago after free a space !

Alright, please allow it to complete yet before you try to upload the file that you mentioned. Upload it to wikisend.com then give me the 6-digit File ID so that I can check the file.

By the way, what is the size of the flash drive? Is it 16Gb?

I couldn't find both files anymore, however I found a new fiel named : A776F000 , tried to open w Excel but look like strange signes ..

Done the check disk? Did it attempt to repair bad sectors?
Also, please try to copy the corrupted file now to your computer and see if it allows you to copy it.

Jess

Auto repairs, yes, copied to pc

Ok. Now, please try to make several copies of the corrupted files since you were now able to copy it. Then use the BEST Excel recovery tools that I gave you to recover this corrupted file.

Here are the links of the Excel recovery tools again:
http://www.xlsxrepairtoolbox.com/

information you need.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

The file A776F000 has been in my backup before check utility .. the crashed file that I was trying to revive just vanished in the Check Disk repair? Think no hope now???

Sher,

I thought you already copied the file to PC?

Are you saying that the Excel file that you are trying to recover is now gone?

YES, the original file " SEARCH & OPEN SITES.xlsx is gone in the Check Disk repair :( It is not the one copied A776F000 has been in my backup before check utility ..

Is there any more possibilities to regain " SEARCH & OPEN SITES.xlsx" that was on the flash pen drive Jess ?

Sher,

I am very sorry but I do believe that the file is severely damaged or corrupted. It appears that check disk detected the corrupted file as "fragments" or chunks only of the original working Excel file (before it was corrupted) causing it created or recovered the file as A776F000 which indicates that this file was not properly written to disk. In this case, recovery is almost impossible so I will not be giving you false hope on this. I am really sorry but recovery really do has limitations. In your case, it is the severity of the damaged or corruption done into the file.

The next thing that you can do here is to install and run Reccuva, a free file recovery tool that I gave you to scan the flash drive to recovery old data. Here is the link:

The process will simply scan the drive (please select the flash drive) for damaged and recoverable files. Please see there if the is an excel file that can be recovered.

I know this is not a good news for you but I am just being honest with you here. Recovering this severely corrupted file, which is a hardware corruption, has very low or small chances of recovery. I hate to be the bearer of this news but it will be unfair for you and unprefessional for me if I will not give you an honest assessment on this matter.

Thank you. If you need further assistance, let me know.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess, What do you mean?? it is a wrong prog for the purpose???

CCleaner can't recover any deleted or corrupted data from a drive, it has Cleaner for file og registry, Uninstall, Wipe drive .. nothing concerning old data recovery ??????

Sher,

Thank you for writing back. The program that I was refering to was Recuva. Here is the download link:

RECUVA
http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download/standard

Please download it and run a scan on your flash drive.

Keep me posted.
Jess

Unfortunately I ran ccleaner as your previous advice, after which windows responded to the usb pen "disk J: is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded "

When you asked me to run Chkdisk, I first made a backup: while the xlsx file that was the reason to seek help was not included, I can see a copy of both BOOTEX.LOG and the folder System. I noticed these two files after googling for many hours for Windows response " .. make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded."

Windows doesn't allow copying them to J: . By the help of these 2 files, RECUVA may scan and eventually recover the xlsx file.

Waiting your advice! BUT please Jess, don't give any more wrong programms

Did you run CCleaner of the USB drive or on Drive C? So you are saying that CCleaner was unable to run on the USB drive because of an error?

What happens now when when plug in the USB drive, is Windows still able to detect it and show its contents?

Let me know.

Run CCleaner on both Drives Jess :)

Afterwars, windows Can't show the USB drive contents saiying "disk J: is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded "

I also said: on a backup, I have among others the BOOTEX.LOG and the folder System that were in the vanished usb content.

Would these two help ... so that I can run RECUVA ... for the purpose of recover the XLSX file

Sher,

The LOG file I believe is just a log, and I do not know the contents of the System folder in that backup.

When was this backup made? Is this a backup of your USB drive only? Is the corrupted file also in the backup data?

Can I post them to you Jess???

Backup was made Monday, April 01. That's what I told on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:45 PM EST: "When you asked me to run Chkdisk, I first made a backup: while the xlsx file that was the reason to seek help was not included, ....."

Yes, it is true Logfile doesn't mention anything about "S E A R C H & OPEN SITES.xlsx". It is in Norwegian:

"

Volumet er endret.
Volumserienummeret er 2813-3A33 ..................

13696 kB in 12 gjenopprettede filer.
Korreksjoner er blitt utfort på filsystemet.
(NNN) NNN-NNNNkB total diskplass.
5376 kB i 143 skjulte filer.
49952 kB i 1561 mapper.
(NNN) NNN-NNNNkB i 15062 filer.
(NNN) NNN-NNNNkB er tilgjengelig.

32768 byte i hver tildelingsenhet.
244930 totale tildelingsenheter på disken.
79167 tildelingsenheter tilgjengelig på disken. "

No need to post the screen shots. I believe that the LOG file is just a log of the backup and no data on the corrupted XLSX file is contained there.

Now, our next step is to recover the USB drive since it is now unreadable by your system. Please do this:
  1. Plug in the USB drive
  2. Click Start => RUN
  3. In the RUN box, type:

chkdsk /f J:

where J is the drive letter of your drive. If it is not J, use the actual drive shown in your computer.
  4. Click OK or press Enter to begin the text
  5. When command prompt closes, go to Start => Computer
  6. Open your Drive J there and see if it loads the contents normally this time

Keep me posted.

Jess

I did.

It says " disk J: is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded "

Explain from googling:

"File System" becomes RAW = partition got corrupted. checkdisk will not run on a RAW drive. Use a software for Damaged Partition Recovery". "It will try to recover the data from the damaged partition. "

Sher,

This indicates that your USB drive has broken partition, or damaged partition. This supported my initial premise that the cause of the corrupted file is the disk itself, where a possibility is big that the file, or part of the Excel file was written on the bad area of the disk causing it to be "corrupted". Thus, there are bad areas or sectors of your drive.

Now, please follow the procedures in this link:
http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

This will take some time. Please take your time and let me know is you were able to recover your data using PartedMagic.

Keep me posted.
Jess

Jess, I could see and make a backup prior to running Ccleener. So such damage took place after windows failed to see any content!!

However I will follow the procedures in this link: .. but first pls read what I'm adding from googlingJess:

Software Stellar Phoenix Partition Recovery might be a ver good help.

"One or more of these must be run by the software: Search Lost Volumes, Deleted Database Recovery and/ or Raw Recovery"

http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm

Shall I proceed w what you proposed, or with Stellar in case you have knowledge of ??

Sher,

I need to explain further. The backup that you created did not have the corrupted Excel file there since the file is unreadable and cannot be copied and moved. This is because the data or part of the data of this Excel file is written in a bad area of the disk.

Now, you cannot use the Stellar software to recover the Excel file since there is NO excel file yet.

If you are referring to the Partition Recovery software, I still suggest that you use the PartedMagic software to correct the USB drive's partition first. It will run on the bootable disc so it is better since Windows will "not interfere" with the process of recovery which is a good thing to consider. Also, this tool is free.

However, if you already BOUGHT this stellar software, I am referring to the Stellar Partition Recovery software, then of course you can use it. But please remember that data recovery is a very risky task. If ever you want to use this commercial tool, please search for your DATA and DO NOT WRITE anything on the disc unless your data is NOT shown.

If you have not purchased this Stellar tool yet, please use the FREE tool I mentioned about with the complete description of the recovery process in the link I gave you: PartedMagic.

Keep me posted.
Jess

Thanks Jess! I didn't buy Stellar.

I have a hospital appointment now, and must go:(

Please tell if it's OK to plug -later on the day - the USB pen in a different pc w/Windows XP and follow your advice ???.

Sher,

Yes, sure. You can surely do the recovery process using the procedures in the link I gave you using a different computer.

And please take your time with your appointments Cool I will be here for the next 6 hours.... Talk to you then.

Regards,
Jess

Hei!

I followed the entire instructions on The link site - but didn't see my files and folders - where the site says: "DO NOT WRITE A NEW PARTITION TABLE IF YOU DID NOT SEE YOUR FILES/FOLDERS That means the proper partition table was not found and you will have to try a different technique to recover your data."

Last image was in the deeper Aearch showing:
Disk/dev/sdc - 8036 MB / 7663 MiB CHS 1020 248 62 SanDisk Cruzer.
Otherwise nothing under Partition, Start, End, Size in sectors
No patition found or selected for recovery
Quit

So I'm back to a square one Jess:( PartedMagic couldn't correct the USB drive's partition. What other technique they are referring to ?

Thank you for writing back.

At this point, try to use the boot disc that you created to boot the computer to Linux and test if the USB drive is accessbile there.

Here is the link:
http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

Keep me posted.
Jess

Jess!

It doesn't look good :( My hope is diminishing.Cry

The small window "Mount-gtk" doesn't show the device! Adding it manually doesn't help either - bec then doesn't repond when clicking the green MUNT button.

The big window "media" shows the usb device, ok! However on click to run Mount, or Remount comes Error masage:
error 64: unable to determine device fstype - specify with -t

Also it shows the device properties:
Device
/dev/sdc removable mountable
USAGE
/dev/sdr 7.5G (not mounted)
FSTAB
(not found
INFO
native-path: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.7/usb1/1-3/1-3.1.0/host8/target8:0:0/8:0:0:0/block/sdc
device: /8:32
device-file: /dev/sdc
presentation: /dev/sdc
by id: /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Sandisk_Cruzer_000041800B2802E06-0:0
systeminternal: 0
removable: 1
has media: 1
is read only: 0
is mounted: 0
mount path:
presentation hide: 0
presentation nopolicy: 0
presentation name:
presentation icon:
automount hint:
size: XXXXXXXXXX /em>
block size: 512
usage:
type:
version:
uuid:
label:
drive:

What do you think Jess??Undecided

Sher,

I am very sorry about this but the process is tedious with several trials until we can recover your files in the corrupted flash drive.

Now, please try another tool to recover your data your USB drive that is RAW. However, this is not a free tool but Easeus is the best data recovery company. But you can give it a try by using the TRIAL version. The trial version works the same with the licensed version but you can only recover 1Gb of lost data. If the Excel file is there, and it is NOT more than 1GB, then you can recover it using the trial version. If the Excel file that you are trying to recover is more than 1Gb, then you need to buy the license to recover it.

Here is the link to download the trial version:
http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

Now, click on this link for the procedures on how to use the tool to recover your data in your RAW drive:

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/recover-raw-drive.htm

I hope that helped.

Best regards,
Jess

Hei again Jess!

It's very strange!! While PartedMagic that we previously run, as well as "My computer" can recognise the usb dismountable device J: as "SanDisk Cruzer USB device" - couldn't Easeus see any USB partition :(

Is there more possibilites?
I heard from a freind about "Power Data Recovery" or something like that ..

What's your opinion !!

Best regards :-)

NB!

In the backup I made for that bad usb device just before running ccleaner, I have a folder called "System", told you about before. Is that of any help?

Sher,

Yes, I remember you mentioning about the "system" folder. Can you tell me the contents of this folder?

Also, are you saying that when you are using Easeus tool, plugging your USB drive, the drive is not detected by Easeus? But when you go to Computer, is it listed as Drive J?

When I reviewed System folder today, it apparently have portable programs of the SanDisk U3 working as a CD partition, including Skype, macafee, and few others .. so it's not applicable for recovering the vanished device J: . Anyhow, System folder contains:

Intro.orig.xml (1 KB)

Intro.zip (folder 1.186 KB)

plma (0 KB)

Apps (folder - include LPDM.xml + LPGDB.xml +15 folders:

00C297B1-02F3-4BEE-8B57-7BCA695A41DA

0DE4F643-C398-46ec-9339-2362F2311932

1FD3D3AE-B05C-48d0-8D19-36BE78FB3BC5

4cb9dd3c-4505-43dc-a6fe-0dd9fbf28fb1

09ECB03D-DDCD-42bc-B9E2-C8C2C5832460

9CAC5930-4010-4AD6-ABF7-CE2778969B13

40B73FE1-201D-406a-8DB0-A2B636DD1967

58EA136C-7E57-4416-B59E-394C46DD505B

79EB5C19-AB0E-4dd7-BE89-BF96301D35Z8

285E6953-BF3C-4445-9376-3FE5D7F645B2

a56efffa-4f28-4bdf-8521-7c292939511a

DDA4889E-27C0-4DC9-91A2-F303818B211F

EC30627F-0195-44d4-8C24-1B09F3C02C50

ED241DFF-CBD5-41ad-975B-4B162A35BFF7

OLD 4cb9dd3c-4505-43dc-a6fe-0dd9fbf28fb1

Yes Jess, that exactly the case: USB drive is plugged, Easeus doesn't detect J: !

But when I go to Computer, is it listed as Drive J: !

Also it was listed by PartedMagic as Drive J:.

That was the reason to tell about "Power Data Recovery", suggested by a freind.

Sher,

I am really afraid that the drive is severely danaged that even EaseUs is not able to detect it. Yes, Windows and PartedMagic was able to detect the drive but they cannot access it since it is RAW. The Easeus tool is suppose to be able to recover the data on the drive since it is built to recover data on RAW drives. Please refer to the link I gave you on how to recover files on RAW drive using the Easeus tool.

I am not giving you false hope on this but the results really show that the corruption of the disk is severe. Though you have copied the contents of this drive, we still need to work on this drive to recover hopefully, the excel file.

Yes, Power Data Recovery is just another tool like Easeus that recovers data. It also allows you to recover 1Gb of data for free. You can download it here:

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/power-data-recovery.html

Sher, if this tool is able to detect the drive, try to recover your files. If it is unable to detect the drive, then I suggest that you send the drive to your nearest data recovery company to hadle the recovery for you. They have the tools to recover your data if they are still recoverable. These links below can be useful:

http://www.ibas.no/ontrack-datarecovery/

or this
http://www.datarecoverynorway.com/

information you need.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

You doubt about "Power Data Recovery" so Wouldn't waist more time & effort. !
But before giving up, pls look at that:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224577/6_data_recovery_tools_for_SD_cards_USB_drives_and_more?taxonomyId=150&pageNumber=2

"...PhotoRec is the most powerful application in this review. It can recover files from almost any device -- whether or not it's mounted with a drive letter, has a partition or is even formatted. PhotoRec has editions for multiple platforms: Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. And its creator claims it can detect and recover more than 390 types of files, and not just photos, as the name might imply. However, its very Spartan interface may be off-putting to users who expect a slick graphic interface.
.............................

The biggest surprise was how two of the best programs cost nothing to use. While PhotoRec was the least novice-friendly -- its text-only interface could scare off the uninitiated and its documentation is spotty -- it was also one of the most powerful. Recuva was likewise quite strong and wasn't lacking any functionality in its free version.

As a result, I recommend PhotoRec for tech-savvy users ..."

That would be the last stop if you consider worth trying :-)

Sher,

Yes, I personally doubt this Power Data Recovery" software I should admit. If the Easeus tool cannot detect your drive, I doubt if this Power Data Recovery tool can.

Regarding this PhotoRec tool, yes you can give it a try. This is basically a companion software with PartedMagic and TestDisk, the ones you used before. I believe PhotoRec can detect your drive as PartedMagic was able to.

Please give it a try and I really hope you are able to recover the files in the corrupted drive.

Best regards,
Jess
Hi Sher,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Hello!

Correction: Before getting your help Jess, I didn't have a corrupted drive.

I had a healthy drive where one single xlsx file was corrupted!

All I needed from JustAnswer was help to recover that one single corrupt xlsx file.

The outcome is a totaley corrupted drive.

I can't rate your service over 2. Sorry

Regards!

Hi Sher,

I understand your frustrations. I also see your rating that saddened me. But I understand how you come up with that rating, completely, and I respect that.

From the very start your drive is NOT healthy. It was a corrupted drive. The xlsx file that you are trying to recover is written is the BAD sector of your USB. That is where the corruption is rooted. That explains why the file cannot be read, copied, or moved from the USB to your computer. I already posted a detailed explanation on this.

It was even good to know that the drive was corrupted since you were able to COPY all of the files there EXCEPT the bad xlsx file BEFORE all of the files were inaccessible because of the bad USB.

The xlsx file CANNOT be recovered without fixing the bad disk. That is why all the tools I gave you was to work with the disk and not with the specific xlsx file. If the direction we took was to recover the xlsx file without considering the fact that the usb drive is damaged, then you can end up buying tools to recover the Excel file but end up nothing since the root of the problem is bad USB drive. It just happened that only the xlsx file is grossly affected because some of the data of that file is written of the bad area of the drive. Also, in any case of disk recovery, there is always a risk of data loss especially in cases where the disk itself is damaged or containing bad sectors.

I am really sorry if I was not able to help you recover the xlsx file. I did try to help you and spent much time with this problem of yours looking for free tools to help you fix the USB but it is a hardware limitation that prevents the data to be recovered. I treated the problem as my own, as if the USB drive is mine and the recovery procedures that we underwent is the best attempt to recover data from the USB drive.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist