Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I have just bought a new computer

I have just bought a...

I have just bought a new computer that has the Windows 8 operating system. I have installed Microsoft Office 2010 for Students and Home which does not include Microsoft Publisher. I have transferred my older documents over to my new computer but cannot open any of the .pub documents. Is there any way of achieving this without going to the expense of purchasing the whole Publisher suite. Regards XXXXX XXXXX

1/6/2013
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast

NewITZone :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.
Please let me know when you will be ready?

JACUSTOMER-b54o1uja- :

I am ready now

NewITZone :

Ok.

JACUSTOMER-b54o1uja- :

help with my question required

NewITZone :

You can use an Open Source product called Scribus

JACUSTOMER-b54o1uja- :

what does this do

NewITZone :

To open .pub file at first you need two open source software.

NewITZone :

One is Scribus and another is Open office.

JACUSTOMER-b54o1uja- :

are these downloads that are readily available and do they have a cost

NewITZone :

No they are free.

NewITZone :

How to import .pub file in scribus please visit this link http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Import_Publisher_to_Scribus

NewITZone :

In old computer you need to install open office.

JACUSTOMER-b54o1uja- :

these documents have been copied over by way of a disk and not via a link between computers so I do not understand why I would need to do anything with my old computer which is working off-line

NewITZone :

Actually at first you need to change .pub file as a word document then import it to open office and export as Writer format. Because writer format can be access by scribus.

NewITZone :

You can install the both software in your new computer.

NewITZone :

But at first open the pub file in to your old computer.

NewITZone :

• Open your document in Publisher

• Go to menu Edit --> Select All (Ctrl+A)

• Go to menu Edit --> Copy (Ctrl+C)

• Open Microsoft Word

• Go to menu Edit --> Paste (Ctrl+V)

• Save your Word document (eg. file.doc)

NewITZone :

Now transfer the word file to your new computer and

• Open it in OpenOffice

• In OpenOffice go to File --> Save as in OpenOffice Writer format (eg. file.sxw)

• In OpenOffice with sxw file go to File --> Save as in OpenOffice Draw format (eg. file.sxd)

• In Scribus File --> Import --> OpenOffice Draw file

JACUSTOMER-b54o1uja- :

ok I think that answers my question

NewITZone :

Any more question please let me know.

NewITZone :

Please, only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel to rate me as "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please reply me via REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have rather then rate me as "Poor Service" or "Bad Service",

I will not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If you think I have helped you with your problem, please give me a proper rating so that I can get paid for helping you.Bonus will be appreciable. Thank you

JACUSTOMER-b54o1uja- :

Finally, I presume fro Scribus I can then print etc.

NewITZone :

Remember please follow the steps which I told you.

NewITZone :

There are also another ways but following this way you must get the better print quality.

JACUSTOMER-b54o1uja- :

ok thanks

NewITZone :

My pleasure! Please do not forget to rate me.

NewITZone :

One more thing, At first open the pub file into your old computer

NewITZone :

• Open your document in Publisher

• Go to menu Edit --> Copy (Ctrl+C)

• Open Microsoft Word

• Go to menu Edit --> Paste (Ctrl+V)

NewITZone :

Now transfer it through to your new computer and you can open this file using ms word. But for quality printing you have to follow those steps.

NewITZone :

NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast