Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I am working in Word 2010 and am having trouble with it automatically

adjusting the top and bottom...
I am working in Word 2010 and am having trouble with it automatically adjusting the top and bottom margin to accommodate the header or footer. How do I stop it doing this?
1/5/2013
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Is this happening in ALL documents that you are working with? Or just in a specific single document?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

It is happening in all word documents that I am working with

Thank you for writing back. Are you saying that you already setup your header and footer perfectly. But then, Word automatically adjusts the margins affecting the header and footer? How did it actually adjust the margins? Is it resetting the margins to a FIXED value like 0.75"

Also, can you send me a dummny document showing the problem? Just a dummy file where the problem that you described is happening so that can check document. If this is possible, please upload the dummy document to this site:

http://wikisend.com

No need to register, just upload your dummy file. Then wait for the screen to show the 6-digit File ID. Post the file ID when you reply so that I can download your file.

Keep me posted.
Jess

I set the header and footer margin and it looks the same on each page when I view it, but when I print it, it is adjusting it on each even page only. Have sent an actual file to the above address. File ID is 104232

Thank you. I am downloading the file and will check it in a while. I will get back to you.

Jess

What adjustments are you referring to? Is it about the graphic icons in the footer that is disappearing when printed?

I don't see anything on the header, just in the footer. Is this correct?

Let me know.
Jess

There is nothing in the header, only the footer. The graphic icons have always been visible but when I print the documents it moves the upper and lower page margins on alternate pages. Have just scanned and uploaded bmps of two consecutive pages that I printed so you will see what I mean. File IDs are 165390 and 464934

I have only had this problem since changing to Office 2010 - had no problems with Office 2007.

In my case here, the footer is intact EXCEPT the missing graphic icons.

I am downloading your scanned pages now.

Jess

Did you sent another reply Jess as I haven't received it or are you still working on it?

Did you send another reply Jess as I haven't received it or are you still working on it

I am still working in it. This is tricky I believe and I will get back to you in a while with feedback on the problem resolution.

Jess

Thank you Jess - really appreciate it

Thank you for waiting.

I was able to correct the issue, at least with my MS Word here Cool. Anyway, I did correct two things:
  1. Corrected the footer margin of the LAST page to make it consistent with the rest of the pages. When you double click on the header or footer to enter the header/footer mode, you will see in the Design that:

Header from Top = 0.08"
    Footer from Bottom = 0.28"

If you check your original file, the settings in Page 12, which is a different section in the document, is different. It has this setting:

Header from Top = 0.08"
    Footer from Bottom = 0.2"

I just corrected that part and made it consistent with the rest of the pages thus I made it 0.28" as well. That corrected the issue.

Screen shot here:

That should correct your issue.

2. I also made a setting correction for the MS Word options. Open MS Word Options. Then click on the Advanced tab in the left panel. Then scroll down to the Print group. Please locate and UNCHECK the option "Scale content for A4 or 8.5" x 11" paper sizes.

Here is my screen shot:

Now, Here is the link of the modified file:
http://wikisend.com/download/278972/Mentorship%20%28Graduate%202013%29_copy2.doc

Here is a PDF file ready for printing:
http://wikisend.com/download/151258/Mentorship(Graduate 2013)_copy2.pdf

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Thanks heaps Jess. Have done what you advised and is fine when I print single sided. Problem appears to be when I print double sided so will check this out further and maybe contact the company - I have a Kyocera FS- C2026 MFP KX.

You're always welcome!

I am glad that you were able to print it correctly this time. Regarding the double-sided printing, I believe it is an issue with the printer driver or the printer software that handles the double-sided printing.

Please refer to your printer's software documentation on HOW to setup double-sided printing.

Also, if you do not have a software from your printer that manages double-sided printing, you can try to setup your MS Word for multiple pages. However, this requires a lot of trial and error until the pages are printed in the manner that you wanted. I suggest that you SAVE AS your document for this purpose of trial and error so that the original document is kept for backup porposes.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist