Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I have two excel files. I want to take some data columns from

Customer Question
Excel file #1 and import...
I have two excel files. I want to take some data columns from Excel file #1 and import (populate) them into certain columns on Excel File #2. Is there a way to easily have this done automatically?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/5/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: Ryan-CTech, Computer Enthusiast replied 5 years ago
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Computer Enthusiast
This can be done with a Macro from inside the first Workbook. If you give me the data range from File 1 and where you want it in File 2 I will gladly write you the code :). It would also be a big help you could upload the files to me.

www.wikisend.com

After upload copy the File ID Number or Download link and paste it here.

Thanks
I will send you in the am when i get back into the office. Thsnks appreciate it.
No problem. :)
File number one is 308726

File number two is 297096

Quick explanation of what I'm trying to do. The first file is products I have listed on our website. I would like to upload these products to Amazon.com - ads (which is file number two template in text). Instead of typing each item into file number two, I want a quick and easy way to copy most of the items from the product export file (#1) into the product ad file (#2). I realize I may need to tweek, etc. But just a quicker way than what I'm currently doing.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks,

I will have a look and get back to you very soon.
Thanks - sure do appreciate it!!!
So you want to export Excel data to a text file? If so, do you want the entire row added?
The data can go excel to excel, and I can convert file number 2 to txt later in the process.

As far as the question regarding the entire row - No that's the tricky part - I need only certain columns from File 1 to go into "matching columns" of file two. IE. Column from file 1 labeled "id" goes into Column in file 2 named "SKU". Column in file 1 "name" goes into column labeled Title in file 2.

I can copy and paste if need be, but thought there was a way to link the two files and take data from one file into the other (excel to excel again). Took a class too many moons ago to remember exactly.
Ok,

Can you send me File 2? You sent me a text file. If you could also fill out the data in file 2 with where its coming from in File 1 that will make it a whole lot easier. Just do it for 1 row of data so I can fully understand :)

Thanks

OK will do. I'll send over the Excel for File 2 and I'll indicate where the data is coming from in File Number 1.
Sounds good. Thanks :)
New upload for file 2 Excel is 156838. On row 19 I indicated where in file 1 the data is coming from. Please go all the way to BK and beyond - a few stragglers out there.

Manual indicates I will need to manually put in the data.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Ok, I had a look and I dont think I can help with this one. I will Opt out for another Expert. He or She will be along very soon :). Please dont Rate until you get an Answer. Take care.
Microsoft Office Technician: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 5 years ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
I can probably wait a day or two - over the weekend (Sunday/Monday). On Tuesday, I'll try to do research on my own.

Thanks!!
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Rachel
Microsoft Office Technician: John D, Bachelor's Degree replied 5 years ago
John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree

My name isXXXXX and I will be happy to help you with this question

I see that you have placed some column headings in row 19 but File 1 does not have these same headings so it is not clear which data needs to be brought and placed under these headings.

Would it possible to provide the info in the following manner:so I can understand exactly what needs to be copied and where it should be placed

Copy data from column A in 'export' file to column G in the 'ad1' file
Copy data from column B in 'export' file to column J in the 'ad1' file
etc

Once I have this info I will write a macro for transferring the data

Thanks

John I will send tomorrow when I get back to my computer. Thanks!!

Sure. Will start on it as soon as I get the clarification

UPDATE:

Any progress on this!

Copy data from column C in 'export' file to column B in the 'ad1' file
Copy data from column B in 'export' file to column D in the 'ad1' file
Copy data from column I in 'export' file to column E in the 'ad1' file
Copy data from column F in 'export' file to column F in the 'ad1' file

Copy data from column Y in 'export' file to column I in the 'ad1' file
Copy data from column U in 'export' file to column J in the 'ad1' file

Copy data from column F in 'export' file to column K in the 'ad1' file
Copy data from column B in 'export' file to column L in the 'ad1' file

Copy data from column W in 'export' file to column AJ in the 'ad1' file
Copy data from column Q in 'export' file to column BK in the 'ad1' file
Thanks

I followed the exact instructions but I noticed that there are some duplicate lines in the above statements (columns B and column F on the Export). Let me know if you need correct these duplicates

Here you go

Attachment: 2013-01-07_192849_2_files.zip

When you extract the files make sure you save them both in the same folder, then open the Export file only, and click the Go! button to run the macro

Also make sure you have your macros enabled so the macro can run

Hope this helps.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for remembering to rate the answer if you found it helpful
I will extract tomorrow and yep there is a duplucate but its intentional. Thanks

If it is going to take you much longer please do not forget to rate so I get credit for my time. You can get back to later if you still have any question

John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
John D
John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree