Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

How do I copy from pdf document table to an Excel spreadsheet

retaining the original format?...
How do I copy from pdf document table to an Excel spreadsheet retaining the original format? I keep getting the data vertically in the same column when I need the original columns.
1/4/2013
WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager

weshouck :

Hi, I can help answer your question.

weshouck :

Sometimes the format inside the PDF does not paste well into Excel.

To get it to retain the format, try pasting the contents into a Text file such as notepad.

weshouck :

Then save as a .TXT file.

weshouck :

Open Excel, then choose File, Open, then choose the TXT file you saved and it will try to import the data by using text delimeters.

Customer:

How do I open notepad?

weshouck :

What is your Operating System?

weshouck :

If you have Windows, you can click Start, Run, then type Notepad and press enter

weshouck :

If you have Mac, then you can open the textedit

Customer:

Did not work. Need original table formating for multiple page document. Would an OCR text recognition software work?

weshouck :

No. It won't work.

weshouck :

I'll open the question so other experts can help.

WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager
John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree

If the pdf file has a simple table you might be able to successfully convert it to excel by using this free online utility

http://www.pdftoexcelconverter.net/

For more complex tables/charts you will need special commercial software. First try the above utility and let me know if you need me to point you to such software

Hope this helps. Thank you for remembering to rate this answer if you found it helpful
WesPCDr
WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Information Systems Manager