Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Hi,I am moving internet services and will have a new email

address. I wish to copy...
Hi,I am moving internet services and will have a new email address. I wish to copy all of my Outlook contacts and my Outlook emails onto my hard drive. Can you give me step by step instructions?
1/2/2013
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue.
To backup Outlook contents you can export to PST files which can then be re imported as required. Depending on which version of Outlook you are using, either of the instructions below should work.
In Outlook 2010:
Follow these steps to export a specific folder:
Click the File tab.
In the Outlook Options window, click Advanced.
Click Export.
In the Import and Export Wizard, click Export to a file, and then click Next.
Click Outlook Data File (.pst), and then click Next.
Select the folder to export, and then click Next.
Click Browse, and then select the location where you want the new .pst file to be saved.
In the File Name box, type the name that you want to use for the new .pst file, and then click OK.
Click Finish.
In an earlier version of Outlook:
Open Outlook.
On the File menu, click Import And Export. If the menu item is not available, move your pointer over the chevrons at the bottom of the menu, and then click Import and Export.
Click Export To File, and then click Next.
Click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
Click the folder to which you want to export the .pst file, and then click Next.
Click Finish.
Let me know how that goes
Cheers
Steve
Hi,This worked very well - thank-you for the step-by-step. One last step, how do I import the filed back into my new email?
Happy to have helped - to import the files you would just need to reverse the process as per the below steps
In Outlook 2010:
Follow these steps to restore, or import, your data into Outlook:
Click the File tab.
In the Open category, click Import.
In the Import and Export Wizard, click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
Type the path and the name of the .pst file that you want to import, or click Browse to choose the file to import.
Note Under Options, it is recommended that you click Do not import duplicates, unless you want the imported information to replace or duplicate items that are already in Outlook.
Click Next.
Select the folder that you want to import. To import everything in the .pst file, select the top of the hierarchy.
Note The top folder (usually Personal Folders, Outlook Data File or your email address) is selected automatically. Include subfolders is selected by default. All folders under the folder selected will be imported
Click Finish.
In earlier versions of Outlook:
If the .pst file that you want to import is stored on a removable device, such as a floppy disk, a portable hard disk drive, a CD-ROM, a magnetic tape cassette, or any other storage medium, insert or connect the storage device, and then copy the .pst file to the hard disk drive of the computer.
When you copy the .pst file, make sure that the Read-Only attribute is not selected. If this attribute is selected, you might receive the following error message:
The specified device, file, or path could not be accessed. It may have been deleted, it may be in use, you may be experiencing network problems, or you may not have sufficient permission to access it. Close any application using this file and try again.
If you receive this error message, clear the Read-Only attribute, and then copy the file again.
Open Outlook.
On the File menu, click Import And Export. If the command is not available, move the pointer over the chevrons at the bottom of the menu, and then click Import and Export.
Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
Type the path and the name of the .pst file that you want to import, and then click Next.
Click Finish.
Cheers
Steve
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod