Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Office / Word 2007 Is there a way to use a Drop Down List

Customer Question
Office / Word 2007 Is there...
Office / Word 2007
Is there a way to use a Drop Down List selection to populate text/fields in other areas of a document. I have a template that requires the user to select Company A or Company B, which then is referenced in a couple of locations in the document. I can't seem to get this to work and was hoping to avoid macros/code.
Any suggestions?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/2/2013
Microsoft Office Technician: NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast replied 5 years ago
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
NewITZone :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.
Please let me know when you will be ready?

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

Ready

NewITZone :

Ok

NewITZone :

Please open the word file.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

I have a test document opened with a drop down list. List options are Company A and Company B. Ready!

NewITZone :

ok.

NewITZone :

Can you see the Developer menu

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

Yes

NewITZone :

ok.

NewITZone :

Click on macro security

NewITZone :

Select all macro

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

ok

NewITZone :

Also select trust access to the VBA...

NewITZone :

Then click on ok

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

select enable all macros?

NewITZone :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

done...so this is going to require macro/vba. I was afraid that was going to be the case. Ok, next?

NewITZone :

Now let me know is it showing any error, if you select anything from the drop down list

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

not seeing any error when I select from the DDL

NewITZone :

Now close the document and open it again to see is it working or not.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

stand by

NewITZone :

Ok. Please take your time.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

closed and open, DDL sections are working, no error

NewITZone :

Is it populate or not?

NewITZone :

I mean populate text in other areas of the document

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

ok, I am confused. The DDL list is working, but we didnt set anything up to populate in other areas of the docuement

NewITZone :

Did you set any value?

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

thats the question. How do I tie a field back to the DDL selection so that when a selection is made, it populates that field.

NewITZone :

ok.

NewITZone :

Could you please send me the file?

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

I can send you the test file. Email?

NewITZone :

No, please attach it here

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

oh....gotcha...one moment

NewITZone :

you will find a attachment icon click on it.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

got it

NewITZone :

ok.

NewITZone :

Hello.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

trying to get this doc attached. the attachment icon says insert/edit image

NewITZone :

Ok. Please click here www.wikisend.com

NewITZone :

after uploading the file please send me the link.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

DDL to Test list.docx

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

Dont know if this is going to be any help though.

NewITZone :

Please send me the download link.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

ok...it wouldnt paste

NewITZone :

Did you copy the link?

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

http://wikisend.com/download/529962/DDL to Test list.docx

NewITZone :

ok

NewITZone :

Is it your main document?

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

this is not the document I am ultimately going to be working with. This is a test document I started just to figure out if this can be done and how to do it.

NewITZone :

Please hold on.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

take your time...I will be back in a moment

NewITZone :

ok.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

I am back

NewITZone :

Ok.

NewITZone :

Please hold on.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

ok...working on another document in the meantime, so take your time

NewITZone :

I am apologize.

NewITZone :

By using those commands one can create forms

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

so to get this to work with those controls, it has to be a form (and thus, a protected document)?

NewITZone :

I do not find any way to make it work.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

ok...I guess I will have to go to microsoft support with this one. I appriciate your time working on this and although I didnt get a solution, I did at least get that I was not just missing something stupid and that it is not an easy solution.

NewITZone :

Please hold on.

JACUSTOMER-1a4udjwg- :

ok

NewITZone :

I opt out and leave this question for other experts if they have any idea.

NewITZone :

Please do not rate my service.

NewITZone :

Thank you for your continuous patience.

Microsoft Office Technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 5 years ago
Richard, Software Specialist
Hi there
I will look at this for you
But first are you still interested in continuing?
Let me know and I will look at document
Thank you

yes...I was just in the process of reading about content controls using macro/vba. Apparently this is not something that can just be done with the integrated controls.

note, the "document" is just a test that pretty much does nothing

thanks
VBA is going to be needed.
But... can we do this in Excel? If we make it look like a document? as this will not require code than

cannot be done in Excel. Ultimatly, this is going to be used in a template that is a Statement of Work docuement. The issue is our legal department, which has to approve the template I am creating, wants this SOW to be used intercompany as well as between our customers.

This means I needed to come up with a way to select which "company" was using the template and have that selection populate to make the template correct for that particular user. The hope was that I could take the value of the selected drop down list item to populate fields.

The issue is this: We (Company A) write a SOW between us and a customer. No problem. But, when we (Company A) are brough into a project by a sister group (Company B), the SOW has to be duplicated; one is between Company A and Company B and the other is between Company B and the customer. Company B becomes our customer in this case.

The SOWs are identical, so we only want to create the content once. Save 2 copies and basically select the "branding", if you will. A drop down with the inter-Company names for section solves the issue, as long as I can get that selection to populate in some key areas within the document. Otherwise, you would have to make multiple selections and that opens the door to user error. I am looking for a one and done solution.

Make sense?

ok, but without VBA correct?

I was hoping to avoid VBA / Macros. These documents could get emailed around and filters these days at the servers have gotten so bad about stripping off attacments with macros and such.

I am willing to give it a shot if that is the solution. from what I am seeing on MS support forums, that is the way to go (and I think it should be rather simple code). I havent messed with VBA in years.

the setup is, I need one drop down list and there will be 3 or 4 areas in the template that need to reflect whatever is selected.

what do you think?

Email is going to stop the VBA from working, and you are going to get a lot of problems from people receiving it as an Email.
I will opt out though as another expert may know how to do this without VBA

Ok....that's 2 that have opt'd out. I think at this point I am going to abandon the drop down list option and use text controls, which I know I can make work without VBA/Macros. It opens the door for user errors (typos), but that is just the risk we will have to take in order to make this work.

Thank you

Microsoft Office Technician: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 5 years ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

I would cancel. I have decided to use another method. I know there is an answer but at this point I think it is going to be more in depth than needed right now.

Thank you!

NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast