NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have PowerPoint slides with linked png images. I used INSERT

I have PowerPoint slides with linked png images. I used INSERT - PICTURES - LINK TO FILE. PowerPoint has properly inserted the picture nicely but the option AUTOMATIC UPDATE under FILE - EDIT LINKS TO FILES is grayed out. The update is stuck on Manual. Any ideas what I have done wrong? PowerPoint 2013 Windows 8-64

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question , but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.
Please let me know when you will be ready?

Ok. Please try this.

Insert menu-->Picture-->From file-->select the file-->click on down arrow icon at the right side of the insert--> then tick the little known tick box marked "link to file". It will update the link automatically.

After insert follow this methods select the file and click on FILE - EDIT LINKS TO FILES--> you can update manually.

If you stuck or any more question please let me know.
Please, only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel to rate me as "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please reply me via REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have rather then rate me as "Poor Service" or "Bad Service",

I will not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If you think I have helped you with your problem, please give me a proper rating so that I can get paid for helping you.Bonus will be appreciable. Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good day Mahbub,

What you suggest is exactly what I did initially. Unfortunately my PowerPoint does not default to automatic update but rather the image is linked with a manual update default. When I use the FILE menu and then EDIT LINKS TO FILES the Update method is showing as Manual. The check box lower left of Automatic Update is grayed out and therefore cannot be selected. I want automatic updates. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bruce

I am apologized. At first I misunderstood. To be honest with you automatic update works while you are linking your power point to a spread sheet(excel file). Any more question.

NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

Is your answer simply that it cannot be done?

Thanks

Bruce

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you are right that Automatic update is not allowed for images, then perhaps there is a workaround such as a VBA macro that actions all the manual updates. I cannot see how multiple links can be selected for manual updating.

I am sorry to say the answer is yes. But it works another way. Each time when you close the document and open it. The document will update manually. I mean if you edit your image (if the location is same) when you open your slide the new edited image will appear. You need not to update manually.

To see Automatic Updating of Excel Tables in PowerPoint Slides please visit this page. It is easy and works well.

http://thinkoutsidetheslide.com/automatic-updating-of-excel-tables-in-powerpoint-slides/

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for continuing to reply on this question.

The link you sent was clear. I have used the linking to Excel objects many times in the past but this particular time I used a VBA macro in Excel to create png images of the Excel charts. The PowerPoint then linked to the images. The reason I used this concept is that the charts are created in a loop in Excel VBA and only exist in Excel space one at a time hence to link to PP I needed an image object. You have stopped me pulling my hair out trying to make automatic linking work for my images the way it has worked in the past to my inside Exel objects. I tested your explanation that PP would update the images when I open the PP file if I had changed the images. It worked as you say. I am not sure if I were the author of PP documentation if I would call that manual or automatic, but once the rules are understood the user can develop an approach that meets the need that I have.

SO, did I get an good answer? Yes, although not the one I hoped existed since there is no way to automatically update image links.

In my view an answer that tells one it can not be done as desired but explains the rules is a good answer. It certainl;y stopped me wasting more hours of what would have been a failed search for an impossible answer.

Thanks for hanging in with me.

I am clicking a happy face that I hope gets you paid. This is my first use of JustAnswer so if the face cliecking is not the way for payment, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Bruce

My pleasure! Yes I got paid. Hope you will choose justanswer again. If you need any more help you can ask me directly through this link http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=53509759&SRD=true

Thank you for your continuous patience.