Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I receive a 7,000 row excel file every couple days that has

a unique identifier in the...
I receive a 7,000 row excel file every couple days that has a unique identifier in the first column and the rows are sorted by this.

I would like to highlight the rows with the same unique identifier, then not highlight the next group of rows with a unique identifier then highlight the next group of rows that has the next unique identifier...repeating for all 7,000 rows.
11/10/2012
Pete, Computer Expert
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Are the unique identifiers all consecutive numbers?
Could you attach a sample file here, if possible?

Pete - They are not consecutive.

How do I attach?

G

Hi Greg,

You should see a Paperclip icon (or possibly a 'Tree' icon) on the toolbar above where you reply here, depending on which web browser you are using. It is normally used for attached images, but can also be used to attach files.
If you don't see any such icons, you can upload the file to a free file-sharing website, e.g. www.wikisend.com

Attachment: 2012-11-12_151514_prior_day_10_27.xlsx

File attached

Hi Greg,

I have assumed the Job No. is the unique identifier.
I have added an additional column on the right hand side to identify if the Job No's are the same or not. I have then used conditional formatting to highlight the entire row based on the identifier. See attached.

Attachment: 2012-11-12_234052_prior_day_10_27-shaded.xlsx

Regards,
Pete.

Pete....Great solution ...I will send a tip after you explain how to apply the rule to all rows with a 1 value

I see the if statment but can not get it to apply to the whole worksheet when I try to replicate your work.

I will tip

Thanks Greg

Hi Greg,

To get the rule to apply to the whole worksheet, first highlight all of the cells you want to apply the formatting to by clicking in the top left cell (A2) then press CTRL-SHIFT-END,
before entering the conditional format IF statement.

Best,

Pete.
Pete, Computer Expert
Pete, Computer Expert