Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  MS Office expert
30970729

Good Morning, I am running Windows 7 Professional and Office

Good Morning,
I am running Windows 7 Professional and Office 2010 on my computer. The styles function in Word doesn't work. If I try to apply a heading in a document i.e. I highlight the text and click on the heading in the styles part of the home tab, it doesn't apply that heading to the text. Also, if I right click on a heading style to modify it, it gives the message: The style name already exists or is reserved for a built-in style. I have another computer where I run Office 2010 on Windows XP. There I don't have any problems with the styles in Word. Can you please help? Thanks. Elize
Hello Elize,

I am Pete, a computer expert, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Does the problem occur when you try to edit an existing document, or when you try to apply style formatting to new documents as well?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Pete, It also happens when I try to apply styles to a new document.

Elize

Hi Elize,

Try logging in as a different user in Windows 7 and let me know if you can apply style formatting to a Word document successfully there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Pete, I had to create a new user to do what you asked me to do. When I am logged on as the new user and I click on all programmes, I see the Microsoft Office folder. When I click on that I only get One Note, Publisher and Office 2010 Tools. As user number one (the original one) I dragged the icons of Word, Excel, Power Point and Access to my desktop - to ease my access to these programmes. They are just hyperlinks to the programmes, but is that why I don't see them when I am logged on as the second user? Could that have anything to do with my original problem? What should I do?

Hi Elize,
I'm not sure why that has happened or if it is related to the original problem, however you can repair it by clicking Start, then in the search bar type Run then press Enter. When the Run box opens, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter. In the next window, find Microsoft Office and click it once - at the top you should see organize, uninstall, change. Click on 'Change'. When it opens, click 'Repair'. Once its done, reboot and all your Office icons should be available again.
Then try applying styles to a new document and let me know if it works ok.

Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Pete,

If I am logged on as the new user the Word numbering system works!! All my documents now sit under the old user. How do I repair that one?

Elize

Hi Elize,

Try logging in using your old account again and check if it is now working.
If it is not, run the same repair whilst logged in there.

Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Pete,

I ran the repair on the old account, but it didn't make any difference.

Elize

Hi Elize,

The Normal.dot file may be corrupted on your original account.
This file contains the formatting and styles for Word.

Search for the Normal.dot file on the new account, then copy and paste it over the Normal.dot file on your old account.
Or, you can simply delete the Normal.dot file on your old account and Word will create a new one next time you open a document.

Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry Pete, I have deleted the Normal.dot file, opened a new Word file and still no luck. The problem remains.

Elize

Are you still getting the same message, "The style name already exists or is reserved for a built-in style." with the new Normal.dot file?
Try restarting the computer and let me know if that helps?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Pete, I have tried everything you suggested once more. I also restarted the computer. No luck. I still get the same message. Any other suggestions?

Elize

As Word is working ok on the other Windows account, there may be some other third party application interfering with it on your old account, or the Windows account itself may be corrupt.
If you recently installed anything before the problem started, try uninstalling it again.
It that still doesn't work, either move your documents to the new Windows account, or delete and recreate the old Windows account.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Pete. I will do that. At least now I have an MS Word that works.

Thanks for your help.

Elize

Hi Elize,

Glad I could be of assistance.

If you need anything else, just let me know, even after rating my service :)

Thanks,

Pete.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Pete,

I couldn't rate you here. The rating tab doesn't appear. I rated the service and you in another window that came up through a link that I receive in an email from the system. Hope it will help.

Regards

Elize

Hi Elize,
It hasn't come through at my end. Maybe you can see a rating tab on this window now.
Thanks,
Pete.