Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Something changed with Excel. My quicklaunch icons at the bottom

Customer Question
of windows usually shows the...
Something changed with Excel. My quicklaunch icons at the bottom of windows usually shows the 10 most recent files and my pinned files (I use that feature). Now Excel doesn't show them when right clicked. PPT and Word still do. It must be a setting, but I can't find it. I see recent files when in Excel under "recent" and you can pin files within the program, but this is not the same as seeing them in the quicklaunch icon in the toolbar. I tried reinstalling excel to restore default settings, but this didn't work either. I can drag files to the icon to pin them, but they don't show up. Where is this magic register setting?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
10/10/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: Ansh P., MS Office Specialist replied 5 years ago
Ansh P.
Ansh P., MS Office Specialist

JATechSpecialis :

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer.com

JATechSpecialis :

Are you using Excel 2010?

JACUSTOMER-yobw1hng- :

yes

JATechSpecialis :

Can I take a look remotely?

JACUSTOMER-yobw1hng- :

yes

JATechSpecialis :

Are you using Internet Explorer?

JACUSTOMER-yobw1hng- :

yes

JATechSpecialis :

agree and run the tool

JACUSTOMER-yobw1hng- :

joining session....

JATechSpecialis :

thanks

JATechSpecialis :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-yobw1hng- :

okay

JATechSpecialis :

Use this link

JACUSTOMER-yobw1hng- :

you there?

JATechSpecialis :

yes use this link

Try this out:

Right click on the Taskbar and click Properties > Start Menu tab > Customize > A dialog will be displayed, just check off the appropriate menu link for 'Recent Items' > Apply,OK
.
If that does not fix it up: try this one:

Click start button on the left bottom, type run and press enter.

Run box will appear.

Type this in run or copy/paste and press ok.

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

Find this file in the above folder and delete it: adecfb853d77462a.automaticDestinations-ms

Once done, reboot the computer.

See if that fix the problem up or let me know.

The first did not make a difference, and I don't have the file you show. I have about 8 other files there, but not with this name....

I may be hidden. Make sure you enable to show hidden files in Folder options.
Can I connect remotely now and check?

I'm not allowed to let you connect remotely at work. I didn't realize this yesterday...

Ok, no problem.

Try this out(as suggested by a fellow expert jeydee):

Click on Office button on top left of Excel > Click Excel Options > Click on Advanced on the left menu > Uncheck "Show all windows in the taskbar".

See if that fix the problem.

no change. No recent docs and I even tried pinning another docu

I reviewed all of the simple check boxes against word and powerpoint vs excel and couldn't find any setup differences. It has to be a register setting or hidden something that only Microsoft knows about. Remember I tried calling them first and they couldn't figure it out either

This should work:
Download and install revo uninstaller: http://tinyurl.com/ydjdzrn

Use it to completely uninstall Office package. Important: While uninstalling using Revo, be sure to delete all the registry keys/remains when it prompts to.

Once done, reinstall it and it should function well.

Sorry, this didn't work either. I give us and will reques my money back. Time to buy a new computer with Windows 8 anyway.

Ansh P.
Ansh P.
Ansh P., MS Office Specialist