Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I use excel 97 and put often used spreadsheets on my desktop.

Customer Question
Sometimes, when I close one...
I use excel 97 and put often used spreadsheets on my desktop. Sometimes, when I close one of these desktop spreadsheets, I get a message that says:

"This file was created using a later version of excel. If you save this file using Microsoft Excel 97, information created with features in the later version may be lost.
To retain the information in the original file, click No, and use the Save As command to save the file with a different name.

The spreadsheet's name is XXXXX XXXXX the kind of spreadsheet it is ---- usually a budget file called "September 2012 Budget --- so I really can't change the name.

If I continue with the Save, the file is assigned a different name --- a series of numbers -- and I can't reopen it.

Can anyone help me with a simple solution. I'm not tech savy.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: nalosin, Computer Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
nalosin
nalosin, Computer Support Specialist

nalosin :

Hello

nalosin :

and welcome to JustAnswer.com

nalosin :

I will do my best to help

nalosin :

You mention that file is Excel 97. Please let me know which Excel program version you are using?

nalosin :

It can be 2003, 2007, 2010 or maybe some earlier version

nalosin :

Or maybe your file is created with newer version for example 2003 and you are still using Excel 97?

nalosin :

Please let me know and I will try to help

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

I am using Microsoft's Excel 97 only. I've never used any other version.

nalosin :

Ok. Are you able to save the file like Excel 97 with different name

nalosin :

then to move the original file to another folder (other then desktop)

nalosin :

and rename the 97 file to have the same name like original

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

I don't know how to do that

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

Are you still there?

nalosin :

Yes

nalosin :

Ok. We can do at the same time. Please open your document, change it a little bit and try to save it

nalosin :

then let me know what happens

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

I get the message described in my question. If I click on yes, the file is assigned a number and I can't open it.

nalosin :

Ok. Click Cancel

nalosin :

then open File -> Save As, enter some different name for the file and save it

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

the only click option is yes or no

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

i don't want to change the name. it's specific to the spreadsheet

nalosin :

Ok. Click No, then close the file

nalosin :

Ok. Change the name for now, we will revert to the original later

nalosin :

open your file again, then click File -> Save As and save it under other name. In Save As dialog box

nalosin :

let me know what is chosen under File Type

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

I changed the name

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

i don't know what you mean by file type

nalosin :

Ok. Try to open that file now

nalosin :

then change it and try to save

JACUSTOMER-k43ftqwd- :

I'm not going any further. You're not much help and I'm done

nalosin :

Sir/Madam

nalosin :

this cannot be solved easy

nalosin :

After you save file

nalosin :

it should not ask you anything

nalosin :

and we can make your changed file to be original

nalosin :

You need to have patience if you wish this resolved

nalosin
nalosin
nalosin, Computer Support Specialist