Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

The open XML file Normal.dotm cannot be opened because there

are problems with the contents...
The open XML file Normal.dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents . . .
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/25/2012
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am here to help.

This sometimes is an easy fix by just repairing permissions, and other times we have to take ownership of your temp folder, delete some files, and then delete the normal.dot template itself.

So lets try this step first, and if it doesnt work get back to me so we can continue through the process.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Afterwords, restart your mac.. Then try to open word again, is it working now?

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

Please remember to rate the effectiveness of the answer given before you go, by clicking one of the smiley faces and then clicking submit. Thats the only way it shows whether or not I was able to help you. Remember that in some cases you cant always repair or solve the issue, and in those cases getting a correct answer to your question is the best solution possible. If you feel like leaving a one or two star rating please contact me first so I can try and resolve the issue in a more effective manner.

Thanks, D.Sandlin

Followed instructions about, rebooted, but nothing has changed.

Sorry. Still get "there are problems with the contents or the file name might contain invalid characters (for example, /\)."

,

,

"Do you want to replace normal.dotm" always comes up after I close Word.

,,

Thanks..

Then we need to delete the plist files next, aand also the normal.dot file.

Lets start here.

Click on "Go" in finder Menubar
- Select Home
- Select Library
(NOTE: If you are using the Lion Operating System the Library folder may be hidden. If you do not see the Library folder here, hold down your option on the Keyboard and Click on Go in the Finder Menubar, you should then see the Library folder)
- Open the Application Support folder
- Open the Microsoft Folder
- Open the Office Folder and the User Templates
- In here you should see a Normal.dotm file. Drag this file to the Trash and restart the Mac.
- Open Word, create a test document and save it to create the new Normal.dotm file.
Also check in the Word preferences to see if the 'Prompt to save Normal template is checkmarked. To do this:
- Open Word
- Click on Word in the Menubar
- Select Preferences
- Select Save
- If the 'Prompt to save Normal template' is checkmarked, uncheck it and click on OK.

Once normal dot has been trashed, try to start word again..

Results?

Or..

Did everything above, restarted, created a new document called "Test Document", tried to save, and got a message saying "This is not a valid file name."

Thanks.. Im trying to avoid switching to a new MAc user profile.. ( which will work )

So lets try this next.

Download and make sure to install the update below.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads?pid=Mactopia_Office2011&fid=877700ED-3D03-4D46-A77B-5063D8F7D2E3#viewer

Restart your mac, and then try word again.. Can you open it, can you open files, save files?

Or..

<sigh>

Downloaded and installed; Nothing has changed . . .

Ok..

If you go to your home folder.

Where it lists your Hard drives.. Do you have a hard drive listed as exactly Mac HD

This is very important, because if your hard drive name has been changed .. Then this alone would cause the issue. and renaming it to XXXXX will solve it.

I can't find my hard drives listed in my home folder: Only these files--

Boys Visit.jpeg

Boys Visit.mm

Boys.jpeg

Boys.mm Boys.pdf

Desktop

Desktop-1

Documents

Downloads

Dropbox

leilani_trailer.wmv

Movies

Music

My iMindMap Files

Pictures

Public

San Francisco

Activities.mm

Sites

Tax Questions for Steve.doc

On the left of the screen , when yo u see those files..

DO you see any hard drives, volumes, or disks listed?

I do . . . my hard drive has a bizarre name (\=87yfr4u7i8op-[]\]87y6t\).

How do I rename (and is this caused by a virus?)

Thast the issue!!!

1. Go to Computer view in Finder (Go menu -> Computer)
  2. Select the disk to be renamed
  3. Get Info on it (File menu -> Get Info)
  4. Expand the Name section
  5. Change the name to exactly Mac HD
  6. Press Tab once done, so that the change takes effect
  7. Close the Get Info window

That should do the trick.. Now, test the office programs.. Any luck?

Problem solved; excellent service.

What ghost in the machine renamed my hard drive?

Thank you!

Danny

Its hard to be sure Danny how or why the Hard drive was renamed.. Could have been a backup, an install, an update.. Or just a freak occurence.

If it changes again in the next 2 months, let me know as that could symbolize an issue.

But I dont think it should switch back so we should be in the clear.

To rate the service I provided Danny, please click one of the icons below, and then click submit. Thanks agian, and if you need anything else you know where to provide me.

Also

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dsandlin/
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist