Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

hi,i have a WD extranl hardisk and it is locked with WD Smartware

Customer Question
hi, i have a WD extranl...
hi,
i have a WD extranl hardisk and it is locked with WD Smartware Drive Unlock App.

I cannot remeber what was the password. I tried all the possible passwords with no luck.

Is there any way to reset the the password XXXXX loosing the data?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager replied 5 years ago
jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager

jstinehelfer :

Hello, My name is John and I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. Hopefully we can resolve your problem together. I am sorry your having trouble today and understand your frustration.

jstinehelfer :

When you installed the software did you happen to check the box that said Remember this computer and password on this computer?

JACUSTOMER-ew1xr44a- : No I don't remember.
jstinehelfer :

Good Morning,

jstinehelfer :

I have read on this since my first post.

jstinehelfer :

Western Digital uses a 256 bit encryption on this which even a good hacker would have problems trying to break it.

jstinehelfer :

The password is stored in a chip on the drive which is protected and only the WD software can speak to it

jstinehelfer :

So really you have two choices here and one of them is a sure thing but the other a possibility

jstinehelfer :

Call WD support and see if they can unlock it. I am sure you would have to prove who you are and that you own the drive. So hopefully you registered it and can verify that it is you that purchased it and own the files

jstinehelfer :

Your only other option is to Format the drive but you will loose all your data

jstinehelfer :

I am sorry this is not the answer you was hoping for. I truly and sorry and know how important data can be.

jstinehelfer :

But in this case you only have a few options

jstinehelfer :

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en <click for WD phone support options

jstinehelfer :

https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/?lang=en <click for email support

jstinehelfer :

Please give me a good rating for helping you today. I know we was not able to fix the problem but in some cases you need to do what we call work around the problem.

JACUSTOMER-ew1xr44a- :

Thanks for the reply.

JACUSTOMER-ew1xr44a- :

Thanks for the reply. I have just tried registering it but failed because it is out of warranty. regarding the othe option, Formatting. If I format it, would I be able to retriev my files using a File Recovery Software?

jstinehelfer :

Once you format it your files will be deleted. It would be hard for recovery software to pull that info back. There is some software out there that claims they can retrieve the data on a formatted drive but I personally have not used one to say Yes it can. So you are at a cross road and I can not say for sure yes this is the solution.

jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer