Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I purchased the Student Version of Microsoft Office 2010 from

Customer Question
Kaplan University. It will allow...
I purchased the Student Version of Microsoft Office 2010 from Kaplan University. It will allow me to use the functions of Microsoft Office and save my work. The problem occurs when I try to reopen my saved work. Office is unable to find it, looks online for an answer and then closes. I then have to reopen the file I want in the safe mode in order to view the work or edit. When I was using the trial version of Office 2010 through Kaplan University, I didn't have this problem. It is very frustrating and I know this program isn't supposed to operate this way. I need help in fixing this problem.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
5/7/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: Molinari, MS Office Tech replied 5 years ago
Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Which office programs are doing that?
How are you trying to reopen the files?
It's the same with all of the Microsoft Office 2010 Student version suite programs. I primarily use Excel, Microsoft, and Power Point for college. I store the files on my desktop for easier access. When I click on the saved documents, the program is unable to open them, tries to find the answer online and then closes. When I click on the saved program again, it says that it failed to open last time, do I want to open it in the safe mode.
I trust you activated it with a serial number....

Does it do that if you save the file somewhere else like my documents?
Yes. It doesn't matter where I try to send it, the same problem persists.
Does it do the same opening it from within the program as opposed to clicking on the file?
Yes. Same thing happens.
What version of windows is it?

And check the trusted locations and make sure your desktop and my documents are in the list:

1. In an Office program, click the File tab. The Microsoft Office Backstage view appears.
  2. Under Help, click Options. The Options dialog appears.
  3. Click Trust Center, then click Trust Center Settings.

The following image is an example of the Trust Center and Trust Center Settings buttons.

The Trust Center

• Go to Trusted Locations Designate folders on your computer in which to place files you trust from reliable sources. Files in a trusted location folder do not go through File Validation.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
This option is not one of the available choices.
Ok, what version of windows is it?
Microsoft Office 2010 Student.
I need the version of windows, is it xp, vista, windows 7?
Sorry, my bad. Windows 7.
Ok, as soon as it crashes open event viewer:

• Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.

Note

Here's another way to open Event Viewer: Click the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the Search box, type Event Viewer, and then, in the list of results, double-click Event Viewer.

Look under windows logs, application for any red error signs for office and click on it and look at the lower part of the window for event id and alos under applications and service logs, microsoft, microsoft office alerts....

It will look something like this:

Let me know what it says....

System: Number of events 12,024.
You have to click on something in the left column so the event with the error appears on the right:

Event Viewer

It should say the office application in the source column next to a red error....

Error 5/7/2012 6:46:14 AM Tcpip 4199 None

Error 5/6/2012 2:12:49 PM Service Control Manager 7031 None

Error 5/5/2012 2:27:14 PM Service Control Manager 7000 None

Error 5/4/2012 6:32:58 AM LanguagePackSetup 1000 Running the lpksetup Wizard

Error 5/4/2012 6:32:58 AM DistributedCOM 10010 None

.

These seem to be the recurring errors.

Are those the times you tried opening files?

Look under office like this:

graphic

Log Name: OAlerts
Source: Microsoft Office 14 Alerts
Date: 5/7/2012 12:23:11 PM
Event ID: 300
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Grant-PC
Description:
Microsoft Word
Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.

Do you want to start Word in safe mode?
P1: 700159
P2: 14.0.6029.1000
P3:
P4:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft Office 14 Alerts" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">300</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-07T16:23:11.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>177</EventRecordID>
<Channel>OAlerts</Channel>
<Computer>Grant-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Microsoft Word
</Data>
<Data>Word failed to start correctly last time. Starting Word in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.

Do you want to start Word in safe mode?
</Data>
<Data>700159
</Data>
<Data>14.0.6029.1000
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

First try this:

a. Click File menu, click Options, Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.

b. Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.

c. Close the Office program and restart it.

d. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

if that fails, try a clean boot and see if it does the same....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Let me know if you run into any trouble...

Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech
Molinari
Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech