Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

IM ON A GUESTS COMPUTER NOW. MY COMPUTER IS NEXT TO ME. MY

IM ON A GUESTS COMPUTER NOW. MY COMPUTER IS NEXT TO ME. MY COMPUTER USES MICROSOFT OFFICE 2010. I ALSO USE A CISCO E2000 MODEM AND HUGHESNET. MY COMPUTER ALL OF A SUDDEN WOULD NOT LET ME ACCESS THE INTERNET. ANY SUGGESTIONS??
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Is the 'guest' computer on your network or are you at a different location now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I AM ON AGUEST COMPUTER NEXT TO MINE
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
OK but this is on your network right? I am just trying to confirm that your Hughesnet/Cisco network is working correctly...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is my network
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is my network
Sorry I'm on my cell phone now. I seem to have lost you on the computer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not receiving replies.?
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

I am here, sorry about that. OK since your network is working, the problem is on your computer. Can you do the following on your computer for me?

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig and hit the Enter key.
  4. What is listed for the IP address and default gateway? They should be numbers like 192.168.1.1.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
EXACTLY
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

Did you get my instructions on your cell phone? Here are they are again just in case. I want you to perform them on your non-working computer.

2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig and hit the Enter key.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE NUMBER ARE EXACT
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

Ah excellent, sorry I misunderstood. OK now I want you to do the following on the non-working computer and tell me what you get:

2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. In the DOS box that appears, please type ping 192.168.1.1 (please note that there is a space between the word ping and the numbers). Hit the Enter key. Do you get timeouts or replies?
  4. Next type ping 8.8.8.8 and hit Enter. Timeouts or replies?
  5. Finally type ping www.google.com and hit Enter. Replies or Unknown Host?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IT GAVE REPLIES TO EACH. AFTER TYPING WWW.GOOGLE.COM ENTER IT REPLIED IS NOT RECOGNIZED AS AN ANTERNAL OR EXTERNAL COMMAND OPERABLE PROGRAM OR BATCH
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

That's OK. It sounds like you have a good connection on your computer. What exactly happens when you try to go on the Internet on that computer?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
OK try typing www.google.com into the address bar and hit Enter. Still get the same message or does Google open up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SAME ERROR
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
OK how about if you go to http://173.167.51.248/? Same error?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

STILL THERE??

Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but I am guessing you did not get my last question. Here it is again:

Please try to go to http://173.167.51.248/ does that work or do you still get 'Page Cannot Be Displayed'?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SORRY. CANNOT DISPLAY THE WEBPAGE.AGAIN
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Ok please try the following for me:

1. In Internet explorer, click Tools-> Internet options.

2. Click on Connections.

3. Click on LAN settings.

4. Are all three boxes cleared?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THERE ARE FOUR BOXES. ONLYONE IS CHECKED USE A PROXY SERVER FOR LAN.......
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Excellent, please CLEAR that checkbox and then click Ok to save your changes. Restart Internet Explorer and you should be good to go, but let me know if not.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!