Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I have a "Microsoft Word 2010" icon on my desktop but when

Customer Question
I doubleclick on it "Word"...
I have a "Microsoft Word 2010" icon on my desktop but when I doubleclick on it "Word" does not start
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
5/4/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: Pieter, Computer Specialist replied 5 years ago
Pieter
Pieter, Computer Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Do you get any error message when you double click on the icon? If you do, please post it here.

Can you still open MS Powerpoint?

The easiest way to restore it to working order, depending on what broke it, will be to run a 'System Restore'

This will restore the system state to an earlier date without affecting any of your documents.

Goto 'All programs', then 'Accessories' then 'System tools' then select 'System Restore'

The dates are marked for each time a system change was done, and will allow you to rollback the system to that date.

This only affects system files, no documents.

Select a date at which the system was still working, then follow the steps to restore it.

Then try it again, and let me know if you see anything strange.

The alternative would be to run the Word.exe file directly from c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office and see if it opens from there.

Let me know.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
I went to C- program files- microsoft office and found empty files office12 and office14
The main Word executable file should be in Office14\WINWORD.EXE

The Office12 folder was used for Office 2007.
Perhaps one was not properly removed when the other was installed.

See if you can find the WINWORD.EXE in either, and let me know.
I removed Office 2007 today. There is no WINWORD.EXE in Office14 or Office12. Why is there nothing in Office 14?
Why did no one respond in the last 8 hours?
Hi

Sorry for the late reply. Day job :)

You never answered the questions on my first answer.
Can you still open MS Powerpoint?

The main program file for Word should be in either of these:

Windows 7 32bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Windows 7 64bit: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

The filename is XXXXX XXXXX normal office 2010.

You can also type word.exe into the searchbox at top right corner of your file explorer window while you have 'Local Drive C:' opened.

Another way using Windows 7 is to click the windows logo, then type in word.exe in the 'Search programs and files' box at the bottom of the start menu. This may not find the file.

Another easy way to see if it is there, is to create another user on the system, then login with the new account, and see if Word works on there. This might just be a problem on your user profile.

If you really can not find the executable file for it, then repairing using 'Programs and features' in 'Control Panel' should fix it, but it looks like your already tried that.
Alternatively uninstall it, then re-install Office 2010.

Let me know if you find anything.

Pieter
Pieter, Computer Specialist
Hello again.

How did it go?
Pieter
Pieter
Pieter, Computer Specialist