Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

copy and paste special in excel 2010 not working; problem across

Customer Question
excel files on this one...
copy and paste special in excel 2010 not working; problem across excel files on this one computer
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
5/2/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Chris L., Support Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

By any chance do you have skype installed on this computer? Sometimes this can cause this issue.

Please let me know and I will tell you how to fix.

Thank You
yes skype is installed
Ok thank you. Please try the following to make sure that skype is not the culprit.

Open internet explorer

Click the Tools button Tools button, and then click Manage add-ons. Under Show, click All add-ons.

Next locate skype and click and and then click disable
graphic

Restart excel and then restart IE and see if the issue is resolved.

Please reply back and let me know if this does not work.

Thank You

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
did all that, didn't make a difference.
allow me to clarify the problem:
usually when I click copy in an excel field, that cell is surrounded by flashing dotted line; now, I see that for a millisecond and the field is then surrounded by a solid line.
when I go to paste special it only gives me the option to paste it as text, not the usual options like paste only the formula, or link to another file.
I tried opening a brand new file and get the same problem, so the problem is not my file but with excel on this particular computer. Never had this happen before. not happening on my other computer.
I'm working with office 2010 in windows 7
Thank you for the clarification.

Do you have any web browsers open at all when doing this? Firefox or Chrome?

If so close all browsers and let me know if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Also I wanted to add I suggest you uninstall skype click to call.

Click Start Choose Control Panel

From list find Skype Click to Call and choose uninstall.

You do not need to uninstall the skype program just the click to call add in. This add in has been causing a lot of copy and paste issues with office 2010.

Let me know how that goes.

Thank You
-Chris

Chris L., Support Specialist
success.
uninstalling click to call solved the problem.
I reopened chrome just to be sure and the problem did not recur so skype click to call seems to be the culprit.
Chris L., Support Specialist