Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.6, and now PowerPoint doesnt

I just upgraded to Mac...
I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.6, and now PowerPoint doesn't work. It won't display in Normal view. It leaves slides blank, and it won't add text boxes or pictures.
4/4/2012
Richard, Software Specialist

Professional Help :

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer

Professional Help :

Can you do the following please

Professional Help :

Go to Applications > Microsoft Office > Office > Type Libraries.

Remove the PowerPoint Type Library file.

Professional Help :

If you still have the problem then

Professional Help :

Remove PDFMakerLib from the Applications > Microsoft Office > Office folder

Professional Help :

Let me know if you still encounter this problem after doing this step please

Customer:

Interestingly, there is no PDFMakerLib in the Office folder.

Customer:

The problem remains

Professional Help :

which version of office do you have?

Customer:

V 14.1

Customer:

That should be 14.1.0. The auto update says that there are no further updates available

Professional Help :

and make sure the service pack and all updates are installed please

Professional Help :

then restart the computer and test

Customer:

OK, that will take a while

Professional Help :

no problem, Ill be here when its completed

Customer:

I am now at V 14.1.4, and have restarted with the same problem. PowerPoint was running well until the upgrade to OS 10.6.8. After that, everything fell apart. Is there a way I can send you a screen shot?

Professional Help :

yes. you can upload the screen shot here

Professional Help :

click on the paperclip icon and upload the picture

Customer:

I tried that, but I don't see a result. If you do get it, note that the slides at the side are not showing, and that in the main display area, there is text missing below the paragraph in blue.

Professional Help :

ok, then it is going to be a bug in the latest MAC OS update

Professional Help :

you would need to consider reinstalling MAC OS from your disk and not updating to the current version until Apple have resolved this issue

Professional Help :

or you can restore from time machine if you have one?

Customer:

Right now, I'm working with you on an iMac running Mac OS 10.6.8, with Power Point 14.1.4, and both are working just fine. My problem is on my MacBook Pro, also (now) with OS 10.6.8, and Power Point 14.1.4., and Power Point is a shambles. Everything else works well. Why should one work and the other not?

Professional Help :

then the update didnt work properly

Professional Help :

can you restore from time machine on that computer?

Customer:

The MacBook Pro is a 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM. I is capable of it, but I don't have Time Machine running. I will step out, rework what I can, and get back to you afterwards.

Professional Help :

ok, but you will need to roll back the update as it appears not to have worked correctly

Customer:

I had trouble rolling back. so I bit the bullet and upgraded to OS 10.7, but I have exactly the same problem. I'm now in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling all of MS Office for the fifth time. I'll check back with you when it's done.

Professional Help :

thank you

Customer:

OK, I just got my PowerPoint back in reasonable order after a flashback to earlier days that made me think of junking font files. It isn't perfect yet, but most of the kinks are gone. I have more fonts to get rid of, but I think the problem is solved. Where do we go from here?

Customer:

As I said above, I solved the problem on my own by working through font files until I found a bad duplicate from the upgrade. You did not suggest checking fonts. I'm not against compensation for time involved, but I'd like your opinion on the matter.

Professional Help :

Hi there, if you where using a font that was corrupted on the computer this would have caused the issue, though I am concerned why the fonts became corrupted in the first place

Professional Help :

We would have gotten to checking the fonts, but it is extremely rare that they corrupt themselves, so I wanted to leave this step till later on as I was starting to think the Powerpoint default template was corrupt

Professional Help :

remove the duplicates, but also make a custom animation in a slide, save and try to open it and ensure this is also working please

Professional Help :

regarding the next step, it is completly up to you is you feel I deserve a small % of the deposit you have made.

Professional Help :

If you where satisfied with my service to you, then please click Accept, if you are not then you do not have to

Professional Help :

regardless of your desicion, please take care, and let me know if the animation test you do in powerpoint brings you any problems

Customer:

Sorry, I was called away for a while, and forgot to sign out. I will accept and chalk it up to experience, though I think it should be a 50/50 split

Richard, Software Specialist
Richard, Software Specialist