Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Very recently I have lost the abiliuty to open Microsoft Word

Customer Question
2000-sr1. I cannot write a...
Very recently I have lost the abiliuty to open Microsoft Word 2000-sr1. I cannot write a letter or open MS Word when sent to me as an attachment. All other functions in Microsoft Works can be opened. I have tried to delete Microsoft Word and reinstall it , but it does not open. All I get is an error message each time.
Can you helpe me ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
4/3/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today.

What exactly is the error message that you are getting when MS Word fails to open?
Is Word still installed now or you have removed it already?
Word is installed. I have try to open word to get the error message, so hold on
Ok. I am still here...

OK ,...when I click on details of the 'problem message' I get the following bunch of letters and numbers: APPname:winword Appver 9.0.0.3822 modvu 9.0.0.3822 mod name winword exe

ofset 00395c27

Does this help you?

Thank you for that information.

First, please do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your system is clean, safe and optimized.

A. Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

B. Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, when you are prompted for a TRIAL, you can just DECLINE. Then let it UPDATE.

After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

After the cleanup, please try to open Word then see if it loads normally.

If the problem still persists, please disable startup programs and services that could be blocking Word during opening causing a crash.

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN. Another way to get the RUN box is to go to Start => (All) Programs => Accessories => RUN or press the Windows Logo key then press the letter R.
  2. In the RUN box, type this command: msconfig
  3. Click OK
  4. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  5. Click on the SERVICES tab
  6. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  7. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  8. Then click the STARTUP tab
  9. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  10. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  11. Then click APPLY
  12. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  13. Restart your computer.
  14. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  15. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed and see if the Word problem is gone.

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please ACCEPT and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

If the problem continues, please let me know by posting a reply so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist