Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I have embedded a .wmv file into a powerpoint presentation.

Customer Question
It presents as a black...
I have embedded a .wmv file into a powerpoint presentation. It presents as a black box, but does play when clicked for maybe a minute, then shuts off. I've made sure DirectX and Media player are current, and I've moved all of the files up to the C: drive to make sure the 128-length isn't exceeded. I've tried to disable hardward acceleration, but apparently my display driver doesn't give me access to it. CAn you give me a hint of what to try next?
Thx
Cyndee
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
3/8/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: Danielle-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Danielle-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

I am still waiting for an answer. Thanks.
 replied 5 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 5 years ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
My Name is***** will be helping you today. If I provide good service, you may ask for The-PC-Guy in your question title for your future needs.

Does the file play alright in windows media player?

Yes, PC-Guy, the file plays through completely in windows media player.

Cyndee

how large is the file?
Sorry, I wasn't expecting such a quick response. The file is 447,223 kB (large - 16 minutes long)
ok, its a little to big to have you send it to me.

Could you try a different WMV file and let me know if you have the same problem?
ok I will, and let you know.
I downloaded a much smaller file (7000 kB) and it showed on the Powerpoint page as a blue square, which was consistent with the video when it started. It ran through its time of 1:04 minutes witout incident.
I've watched the whole video on line, so I know that it is viewable past the point where it stops in the powerpoint.
ok, I'm starting to think that it is something strange within the ppt file itself.

You said that the 2nd one worked in ppt without any problems, or that it did have problems?
My goodness. Yes, the second smaller one worked fine in the powerpoint, and the first worked up to a point in powerpoint, although did not present in the ppt file correctly. No you have any clue?
I'm thinking, that it didn't properly emebed in powerpoint. Or it was too large. There may be a size limit as to what powerpoint can handle. I suggest taking the same video, the large one. Start a new blank presentation and instert the video into slide 1. See if that fixes it.

No, it doesn't even embed; it links; you should have known this. And I already tried it in an empty ppt file; it makes no difference. According to the following, there is no size limitation :

http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-office-powerpoint/459620-maximum-size-wmv-files-powerpoint.html.

I think you're just guessing; it appears you have no specific knowledge of this and it's dragging on too long. I rescind my request for help.

There is a reason that I am an expert. I don't guess. I have you follow a series of troubleshooting steps to narrow down the problem.
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager