eyecue
eyecue, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MSO support for end users
669790

I am using Opren Office 3.3, O/S windows 7 When opening OO

Customer Question

I am using Opren Office 3.3, O/S windows 7
When opening OO Writer a line of random letters and numbers appears.
I have tried to delete these but they keep appearing every time I open Writer.
How can I delete these random characters?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  TaylorTech replied 5 years ago.

TaylorTech :

Hiya, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been repairing and upgrading computers for over 10 years, I will help you to the best of my ability.

TaylorTech :

Ctrl+F10 or View>Non Printing characters. This can turn them on and off

TaylorTech :

Please try this and see what happens

Customer:

I tried both, and in both cases an icon appears at the end of the line of characters (it looks like a paragraph symbol) I next deleted the random text and closed OO writer. When opening it again the random characters are still there, so I guess it didn't work.

Customer:

I tried both and in both cases the no-print icon appears at the end of the random text line. It doesn't print with the icon and it does print without it. But that would mean that from now on would I need to go to "view>non-printing characters" every time a start a new document (which is a bit of a nuisance to say the least)

TaylorTech :

Yeah I hear ya, beyond that im not sure what to do beyond that so I will have to opt out and see if someone else can help you further

Customer:

Thanks Taylor. I wish Open Office had a help line (the forum is pretty useless for this kind of question)

Expert:  eyecue replied 5 years ago.
Click start and type *.OTT and see what it lists. These are open office templates that load when the program starts. Right click on them and name them something else like ott.bak and then retry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Brad.
I did as you suggested. There were 326 templates at that location. I right-clicked them but there is no way I can rename any of them, so I deleted them all. They are now in the recyhcle bin. I then restarted my computer, but that random text still shows when I open OO Writer again. This puzzles me no end!

1 hour later: I deleted all of the templates which crashed my computer. I have it going again, uninstal
led and re-installed Open Office, and I get the sam random characters again!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you don't know the answer to my question please be honest enough to tell me, rather thasn trying to hide by not answering any further.
Expert:  eyecue replied 5 years ago.
No one is hiding from the problem, It has been recategorized and was moved.
How are you starting OO? Are you opening it from the menu or are you opening it by clicking on a doc file?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found the answer myself: go to File, double click on Templates, and delete the faulty template in the right-hand column.
Please end my question and have the deposit credited back to my acount. It shows on my Visa statement as dated March 1, for $ 38.00.Thanks for your help.