Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I put a protection on a worksheet, actually trying to set up

a password XXXXX it, so...
I put a protection on a worksheet, actually trying to set up a password XXXXX it, so no one else would see the sheet - production figures for the office; it didnt work the way I hoped, but I put a protection on the worksheet and cannot remember the password XXXXX open it. I did not need it until I transferred a few sheets to a new folder. Can you help? Kathy
3/1/2012
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi. welcome to JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today.

Can you please elaborate the exact problem with the worksheet? Are you not able to OPEN the file now because you forgot the "password XXXXX open"? Or you are able to open it but you can't modify the contents?

Also, is this an Excel 2003 file (.xls)? Or Excel 2007/2010 (.xlsx) file?
we have Excel 2003 and yes, I cannot open only one page because I forgot the password XXXXX used to try to protect the document. I wanted to just get a password XXXXX open it, but like I said before, I didnt have to use a password XXXXX I transferred it to a new folder. thanks, Kathy
So the problem is opening the XLS file (Excel 2003) because you forgot the password.

If the file does not contain sensitive data, can you please send it to me? If so, please upload it to http://wikisend.com.

After the upload, you will get a 6digit file ID. Please post the file ID when you reply so that I can download the file and try to UNLOCK the password XXXXX open here.

Keep me posted.
Jess
jess, i'm a little confused, yes it is sensitive information, that's why I tried to put a password XXXXX it. I send the file to you and you will unlock?
jess, i'm a little confused, yes it is sensitive information, that's why I tried to put a password XXXXX it. I send the file to you and you will unlock? the file ID is 594236
jess, i'm a little confused, yes it is sensitive information, that's why I tried to put a password XXXXX it. I send the file to you and you will unlock? the file ID is 594236 PS are we being charged again for this help Jess? I already paid one time and didnt know if they sent me to another helper. thanks
Yes, that is the easier part on you. There are several methods and tools used to unlock or recover the forgotten password XXXXX on its complexity and password XXXXX

I will use this various method then unlock the file then send it back to you. If the file contains sensitive data, then I can just give you suggested tools to unlock the file.

Is this the method you want to take? If so, please let me know and I will prepare the procedures for you.

Jess
yes please.
OK. I got the file. It opens immediately and shows a bunch of numbers. The core of the problem is NOT the inability to open it. It is the inability to CHANGE it.

Please give me some time since unlocking the password XXXXX time. I will proceed with the various tools now and I will just let you know the results. You will be notified through email by then. I will give you feedback after an hour or so.

Regards,
Jess
ok that will be great. K
Hi, I managed to remove the password XXXXX now you can make changes to the sheet. Please click on this link to download it.

http://wikisend.com/download/473860/file_unlocked.xls

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, please Accept and leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied. A bonus is always greatly appreciated.

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

If the problem is NOT solved, please do not leave a negative feedback. Instead, post a REPLY so that we can continue further.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Jess, I cannot download because "the macros are disabled because level is set to High"
Are you saying that you cannot download the FILE from the link that I gave you? Or you were able to download but you can't open it?

Are you using Internet Explorer? If so, please do these to be able to download:

1. Open Internet Explorer
  2. Click on Tools => Internet Options
  3. Then click on the "Security" tab
  4. Set the security level to Medium
  5. Click Apply
  6. Click OK
  7. Then try to download it again
  8. If the link to XLS file won't download, please click on this link and download the ZIP file instead:

http://wikisend.com/download/565266/file_unlocked.zip

9. Then extract the contents of the ZIP file since it is the XLS file.

Keep me posted.

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist