Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I am trying to open a Publisher document cannot. Somehow it

Customer Question
I am trying to open...
I am trying to open a Publisher document cannot. Somehow it now has an INK instead of PUB and I cannot open it. Tried restart and previous version.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
2/7/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: Carl, Computer Expert replied 5 years ago
Carl
Carl, Computer Expert

Carl :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX can I be of assistance to you?

Carl :

When you stated it has an ink instead of a pub. Are you referring to the extension?

Customer:

yes

Carl :

Have you manually tried to change the ink back into a pub extension?

Customer:

do not know how

Carl :

ok. We will test first.

Carl :

Open publisher, then click open.

Carl :

Then point to the location of the file you wish to open.

Carl :

Under file type choose all files.

Carl :

Then search for your file even if it has .ink

Carl :

Then open it. Let me know if it opens.

Carl :

If it does we just need to make one minor change to the file.

Customer:

says insert disk and i have no disk

Carl :

You did point it to the ink file right?

Customer:

i shows a PUB icon with an arrow on top

Carl :

Does it look like this?

Full Size Image

Customer:

negative tried copy the icon but could not paste

Carl :

Ok

Carl :

I used a built in screen shot app in win7 called Snipping tool to capture this.

Customer:

a closer look and that becomes a maybe

Carl :

Does the arrow reside on the lower left.

Customer:

no it is right on top

Carl :

hmm

Carl :

Not trying to patronize you. But you are absolutely sure this is the correct file?

Customer:

looking again the difference is in the upper left corner my icon shows a boxed P and a different title (2011)

Carl :

Did you recently change something on the pc that may have caused this? When was the last time it worked?

Customer:

no changes that I am aware of last time worked would probably be December

Carl :

wow ok.

Customer:

the file is supposed to be Pub's calender for 2011

Carl :

When you received insert CD did it ask for office cd or what other descriptive information can you give me?

Customer:

it only says insert disk or network resource is available have no idea what that last means

Carl :

Do you have your MS office install disc?

Carl :

What version of publisher are you running? Office 2003, 2007, 2010, etc.

Customer:

negative it came already loaded on the computer 2010

Customer:

my pub is 2003

Carl :

ok

Customer:

when i open my computer icon it shows an icon labeled microsoft click to run 2010 (protected)(Q:)

Carl :

Well without the CD with cannot perform a repair.

Carl :

If something became corrupted we need to try to repair.

Customer:

OK thanks for the effort will do some more digging

Carl :

Since your file has not worked since December system restore is likely out too.

Carl :

I will opt out perhaps someone else has some ideas. Good luck

Carl
Carl, Computer Expert
Microsoft Office Technician: Danielle-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Danielle-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Carl
Carl
Carl, Computer Expert