Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Word 2000 - word automatically changed the normal document

Customer Question
template. Do you want...
Word 2000 - word automatically changed the normal document template. Do you want to load it? If I answer yes I get a dialog box that says Word could not recover an automatically saved document from the last session. c:\...\word\~WRA004.wbk
Any idea how to get past this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
2/3/2012
Microsoft Office Technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 5 years ago
Chris L., Support Specialist
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Is this what you are seeing?
graphic

I just want to make sure I am understanding the issue. If the image above is not the same please tell me the exact wording of the error.

Thanks

No, it says: "Word automatically saved changes to the normal document template. Do you want to load it?" If I load it I get another dialog box that says "Word could not recover an automatically saved doc from the last session. "c:\...\Word\~WRA004.wbk" If I say OK, I get the Word program screen but there are no menus and the document isn't usable.

I have changed the name of the normal.dot template, I have changed the name of another file "c:\...\Word\~WRA003.wbk" to "c:\...\Word\~WRA004.wbk" and then it says it can't find another file ...~WRA1249.wbk It's like it's a loop.

I cannot see the full path of these files c:\...\Word\~WRA004.wbk

But did you try removing the .wbk files from the folder they reside in? If you cannot try the folder try searching for *.wbk which should show you all the files and the folder that they are.

I am not saying delete them just yet but try and browse to that folder and remove the .wbk files from the folder.

It seems like a you may have a corrupt back up file.

Give that a try and let me know how it goes. If it does not help please reply.

Thank You

full path is --- c:\documents&settings\owner\application data\ microsoft\word\

There are many temp files in this directory. I've just deleted those and will move the .wbk files to a folder on the destop (in case they must be put back in their directory).

Is that what you are suggesting?

I didn't want to delete them just yet however you likely don't need them, it is just a precaution. Folder but don't delete them yet.

I lost the browser page I was working from -

I have moved the files to a new folder on the desktop. Now it is asking for ~WRA000.wbk

The files remaining in the directory are many of ~WRA1021.as$ with diffent number in each filename, of course.

Allright I guess move them back as it still seems it is looking for it. You had mentioned you already did a re-install correct?

It may fix it to do a full re-install. What I mean is when you uninstall a program some files are left behind which is what seems happened in your case since you still had the problem.

If you want to try a clean install let me know and I will provide you a tool to do so.

Thanks

If that's what we need to do to make it work... I am running out of time. So let me know how to proceed.

I should tell you that we have MS Office 2000 Word installed - no other components from this version; then we also have MS Office 2007 installed - other components only, no Word2007.

We work with ACT! database version that requires Word 2000, so we cannot upgrade to a newer version of Word.

At this point I am guessing it will work, I will be honest I am not positive as I have not had to do anything with word 2000 in quite some time or seen this error. I find very little information on this error in any of my knowledge bases I have access to.

I will tell you what, here is what I would do, download revo uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

Run the program to uninstall word 2000, choose moderate uninstall. Here are instructions.
http://www.vikitech.com/6009/how-to-use-revo-uninstaller

Also I am going to opt/out of the question, this will let any other experts on the site who may have another suggestions provide for you.

Maybe if possible wait a little while and see if anyone else here can give you another option and if not try the one I suggested above.

Sorry I don't have more info at this time but like I said I am finding nothing usefull on that error, will get back to you if I do find something new.

Thanks
Thank you Seahorse, I appreciate your honesty and feedback. I will wait a bit and see if another has any additional suggestions. If not, I will do as you suggest and see what happens. Will I be able to get back to you for additional support, considering you have opt/out of the question?
Microsoft Office Technician: jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager replied 5 years ago
jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager

The Normal template opens whenever you start Word, and it includes default styles, AutoText, macros, toolbars, and other customizations that determine the basic look of your document.

1. On the File menu, click Open, and then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

If no templates are listed in the Open dialog box, click the arrow next to the Files of type box, and then click Document Templates.

1. Double-click the Normal.dot file to open it. To be certain that you're working in the default template, check to see that Normal.dot appears in the Word title bar.
  2. Make any changes you want, using the menus and dialog boxes just as you would to change default settings for a document, but remember that any changes you make to Normal.dot will be applied to documents that you create in the future.
  3. When you have finished, on the Standard toolbar, click Save Button image.

Note If Normal.dot is renamed, damaged, or moved, Word automatically creates a new version (which uses the original default settings) the next time that you start Word. The new version will not include any customizations you made to the version that you renamed or moved.

If the problem still happens then you will probably want to move the normal.dot to your desktop. Then open Word and see if the problem goes away as well. Word should re create this file and start up with default settings as before.

Word will not open so it cannot create a new normal.dot template.
Did you try removing the normal.dot file manually?
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

drag the normal.dot file out of there and then try to open word.

If this does not work then open up another Microsoft Office application and choose detect and repair under the help menu. This detects and repairs all of your office applications.

Repairing from within Office

After you have installed Office 2000, let the program take care of correcting any errors in files for you. On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair. A message box opens to let you know that you may need access to your installation source. This means, for example, if you installed from CD, you may need to insert the CD again.

Be sure to check Restore my shortcuts while repairing, if you want default shortcuts to be restored.

Repairing from Maintenance Mode

If you would prefer to fix or make changes to your installation, you can return to Office 2000 Setup and choose Maintenance Mode. You will get a choice to Repair Office 2000 or Reinstall. If you choose Repair Office 2000, most errors will be found and fixed. If you choose to reinstall, Office will go through the complete installation sequence and restore the installation to what it was when you first installed.

In Maintenance Mode, you can also choose to add or remove features, or completely uninstall Office. In Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Programs.

Yes, we removed the normal.dot file manually. That's why none exists now. Word will not start up so there is no way to create a new one.

We only have Word installed from Office 2000, all other Office programs are Office 2007. (as noted above)

Repair office did not fix the problem.

I am going to reinstall now and see what happens.

Ok let me know if that fixes the problem.

This did not work.

I'm sorry but I am out of time. I will take my computer to a repair shop.

jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer